Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian national holidays
Christian national holidays
Hi there!

I have no religion yet i still celebrate Christmas, Easter etc.

However i do not celebrate these holidays because of religious reasons. I wonder if maybe it's something to do with just following the status quo.

I'd quite like to find out what those who are athiest think about Christmas and the fact that it's plastered all over shop windows and TV adverts and the fact that it all starts towards the end of October.

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on this subject.
RE: Christian national holidays
Hi Emma,

I believe in the US they already declared Christmas as a secular holiday to get around this. It is mostly derived from a Pagan ritual anyway (I'm sure Daystar can back me up on that). Same with the Easter eggs, just assimilation of pagan holidays and adapting them to christian celebrations.

I could say I do not celebrate christmas, and I don't really do anything religious on that day, but it is a nice time to sit with family and/or friends if you can stand them.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
In my view, Atheists celebrating Xmas is no worse than Christians using computers and electricity to denigrate science.
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
Jesus was born in the first week of our month October, the early Christians as the earlier Jews, didn't cellebrate the birthday including Christ's birthday. Xmas is pagan in origin and not cellebrated by most people until Charles Dickens' Christmas Carrol, because it was cellebrated throughout the world as a pagan cellebration of the Winter solstice.

Easter comes from the pagan goddess of fertility, Astarte (aka Ishtar etc.) the heavenly consort Baal. Her symbols were the rabbit and the egg, and the phallic symbol the cross. In the spring in order to insure a good crop season virgin children would be selected; bathed and dressed in new clothing and sacrificed to fire to Astarte. Vessels containing the charred bones of children have been found with paintings of the egg, rabbit and cross on them devoted to Astarte. Later crossbuns were served and an orgy took place.

Holidays have become traditional, commercial and family oreinted material excesses. What fascinates me is that Atheists who often shudder at the idea of telling their young children about 'an imaginary god' would embrace telling their children about the Easter Bunny or Santa Clause just to make them feel good. Teaching them the importance of lies and greed. On the other hand Xians will do the same expecting their children to grow up believing in God after finding out about Santa and Easter Bunny. The golden calf incident was a pagan influenced cellebration in the name of Jehovah God that he most certainly did not approve of. The same with Xmas and Easter.
(November 17, 2008 at 11:58 am)emma Wrote: Hi there!

I have no religion yet i still celebrate Christmas, Easter etc.

However i do not celebrate these holidays because of religious reasons. I wonder if maybe it's something to do with just following the status quo.

I'd quite like to find out what those who are athiest think about Christmas and the fact that it's plastered all over shop windows and TV adverts and the fact that it all starts towards the end of October.

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on this subject.
Emma, you say you " celebrate " xmas and easter. I presume you mean you party rather than going to church and doing the religious bit? Like it or not, and I don't, both are inextricably linked with the birth and death of someone I don't believe in. I hate xmas with a passion ( see my post in off topics " room 101 " ).
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(November 23, 2008 at 7:42 pm)Daystar Wrote: Later crossbuns were served and an orgy took place.

What... at the same time?

When do I get my orgy and crossbuns? Oooh that gives me an idea!

*pokes head out into the hallway*
"Honey! Can you grab me some orgy and crossbuns when you pop down to the store? Thanks!!"
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
(November 23, 2008 at 9:13 pm)Jason Jarred Wrote:
(November 23, 2008 at 7:42 pm)Daystar Wrote: Later crossbuns were served and an orgy took place.

What... at the same time?

When do I get my orgy and crossbuns? Oooh that gives me an idea!

*pokes head out into the hallway*
"Honey! Can you grab me some orgy and crossbuns when you pop down to the store? Thanks!!"

The crossbuns and then the orgy was the usual order. After the child sacrifice, of course. Perhaps you could pocket a few of the buns and meet up with the wife afterwards.
I'm often thankful that I live in modern times, but then I think back on all the socially acceptable orgies modern people miss out on. What a shame.
(November 23, 2008 at 9:19 pm)Daystar Wrote: The crossbuns and then the orgy was the usual order. After the child sacrifice, of course. Perhaps you could pocket a few of the buns and meet up with the wife afterwards.

Warning: Do not press the below button.
No, not even then.
Nope, not *then* either.
No...not even if you put *that* in *there* (And what would make you say such a thing?! Pervert)
I SAID don't even THINK about it!
Wait...what...what are you doing? Get the cursor away from there...stop...don't!!......

Atheism as a Religion
-------------------