Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can this woman get any more stupid?
Can this woman get any more stupid?
Quote:Sarah Palin doesn’t want you back. The former Alaska governor and current media firebrand said in a Facebook post Friday that Americans who leave the country to join a foreign terrorist organization should be stripped of their citizenship.
Source

So, holding a different political ideal than the one Palin decides is right should get your citizenship stripped? What the fuck?!? I could agree with the numb fuck if she were talking about people who actually commit treason by taking up arms but this just smacks of McCarthyism. While I in no way, shape or form agree with anything ISIS is doing or stands for, I'll never agree that someone should have their citizenship stripped if they do. There's a line between agreeing with an idea and fighting for it that Palin doesn't seem to see. It's not a fine one either.

Guess what Sarah, some people have different ideals from you.

What's next? Deporting open atheist?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
RE: Can this woman get any more stupid?
Considering ISIL have advocated attacking US soil, have made attempts to oppose the US-led coalition in Afghanistan and have beheaded US citizens, I think anyone who goes out to join them would be arrested as soon as they set foot on US soil again. It doesn't really matter if they are a citizen or not if they are going to be charged with terrorism.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
I don't there citizenship should be taken away but they should be arrested for terrorist acts.
I am a bit puzzled by the opening post.  Of all the things to pick from what Sarah Palin has said, that is what gets you worked up?  You couldn't find anything worse?  Especially considering:

Tobie Wrote:Considering ISIL have advocated attacking US soil, have made attempts to oppose the US-led coalition in Afghanistan and have beheaded US citizens, I think anyone who goes out to join them would be arrested as soon as they set foot on US soil again. It doesn't really matter if they are a citizen or not if they are going to be charged with terrorism.

Possible life in prison, possible execution, does it really matter if the person is stripped of their citizenship also?  And how is that such a stupid thing to do?

If, SnakeOilWarrior, you look closely at what you have claimed about Sarah Palin, she has not stated that someone who merely likes a terrorist organization and even agrees with them would be deprived of citizenship; it is someone who actually leaves the country to join up with a terrorist organization who, she says, according to your post, should be stripped of U.S. citizenship.  That is not simply agreeing with an idea; that is actively taking part in an organization that is judged to be a terrorist one.

Also, it isn't deporting anyone either, since the subject of the discussion is someone who willfully leaves.  

How do you equate this with deporting atheists?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I have to side with the crazy lady on this one. Joining a hostile, foreign agency and taking up arms against your country is not compatible with citizenship. If you do that, you've made your choice.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Serving in a foreign military (amongst other thing) already forfeits citizenship.  Why should it be any different serving in a foreign terrorist organization?

Palin's batshit crazy, yes, but even a broken clock is right twice daily.
I am fairly certain that is the only thing Palin has said that makes any sense. As much as I hate to say it - I agree with her on this one.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(March 29, 2015 at 12:38 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I have to side with the crazy lady on this one. Joining a hostile, foreign agency and taking up arms against your country is not compatible with citizenship. If you do that, you've made your choice.

The one thing she didn't do (unless I missed it) is make the distinction of taking up arms. Merely joining the organization is enough. I do not, in any way, sympathize with ISIS, their goals or their methods. That being said, revoking someones citizenship is a step too far, especially without due process. You want to try them as criminals, fine. As long as they are actually committing a crime. Stripping them of citizenship because they're doing something you don't like? Bullshit.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
She didn't say anything about arms in the quote you posted. I get your point but how would it be different to provide money for arms or knowledge for weapons or infiltration. Joining ISIS is treason. Doesn't really matter if you pull a trigger or not.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(March 29, 2015 at 2:52 pm)anjele Wrote: She didn't say anything about arms in the quote you posted.  I get your point but how would it be different to provide money for arms or knowledge for weapons or infiltration.  Joining ISIS is treason.  Doesn't really matter if you pull a trigger or not.

Just as under current law, pulling the trigger isn't necessary - simply swearing an oath to a foreign government or joining a foreign military is sufficient.  If you happen to have a USA passport, there's a nifty list of things that can get your citizenship yanked.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Queen Can Get Stuffed onlinebiker 41 3241 September 11, 2022 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mitt Romney Is Kinda Stupid BrianSoddingBoru4 89 5811 May 3, 2022 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Stupid Capitalist Tricks The Architect Of Fate 27 1896 July 7, 2020 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  what I Find Really Stupid Rhondazvous 24 1706 April 13, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  A Stupid Statements About Single Payer Healthcare Amarok 43 6639 December 1, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber... Jehanne 16 2089 November 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Does positive masculinity exist? Men correct the woman. Aroura 52 4331 October 1, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Can You Guess Which Countries Have More "Women In Parliament" Than The USA? ReptilianPeon 7 1403 July 13, 2018 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  You Were Stupid. Will You Still Be Stupid in 2020? Minimalist 39 4863 May 15, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Bombing Syria is stupid, this is just gonna be like Iraq war Ruckus123 48 4348 April 14, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: GUBU