Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trevor Noah is a name you don't know. For now.
Trevor Noah is a name you don't know. For now.
Comedy Central announced the successor to Jon Stewart today. 

It will be Trevor Noah, the biracial South African comedian that has made a couple of appearances on the show already. I haven't been impressed with his stuff on the show so far, but his standup is awesome.  

I'm not really sure what to think. On one hand, I wish it was someone who had a little more success on the show already, like Jessica Williams or Samantha Bee or even Aasif Mandvi or Jordan Klepper. On the other hand, trying to "replace" Jon Stewart is a fool's errand. It cannot be done. Going in a completely new direction is smart. We'll see, I guess. 

I do not envy Trevor Noah. Big fucking shoes to fill. 

"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Trevor Noah is a name you don't know. For now.
Somebody took over for Babe Ruth, too.
(March 30, 2015 at 9:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Somebody took over for Babe Ruth, too.

I'm rooting for him. I was hoping for someone else. But I think he'll be fine, as long as the writers continue to do what they do and he doesn't try to reinvent the wheel.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 30, 2015 at 9:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Somebody took over for Babe Ruth, too.

It was George Selkirk, for the record Wink
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Jessica Wlliams would have been my choice. I don't know if this was a smart move, but I do think not going with the other people was a smart move. If I had to put money on who would score higher on a small audience screen test, I would guess Jessica or Trevor.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(March 30, 2015 at 9:40 pm)TRJF Wrote:

It was George Selkirk, for the record Wink

And he did a credible job.

Quote:Over the next eight seasons, Selkirk batted over .300 five times, twice drove home more than 100 RBIs, played on five World Championship teams (1936, 1937, 1938, 1939 and 1941), and made the American League All-Star team in 1936 and 1939.
Nice stats. I've been inside Cal Ripken Jr's mansion before. He lives not too far from Towson, MD.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I like him Smile I saw him on something before, I forget where. Funny guy!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 30, 2015 at 9:27 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Comedy Central announced the successor to Jon Stewart today. 

It will be Trevor Noah, the biracial South African comedian that has made a couple of appearances on the show already. I haven't been impressed with his stuff on the show so far, but his standup is awesome.  

I'm not sure what to think.  The few times he's been on TDS I haven't found his bits to be that incredible and thought that his delivery was hard to read - was he trying to be funny?  Was he trying to convey a serious point?  Is his delivery normally so deadpanned?

On the one hand I can see not choosing a new host from among the current correspondents as it'll stir up a shit storm among fans about why their favorite wasn't chosen, on the other hand, I have reservations that Trevor Noah is the right one for the job.

A couple articles popped up in my fb newsfeed:

Trevor Noah Has a Problem With Atheists, Especially Christopher Hitchens
http://thedailybanter.com/2015/03/trevor...t-problem/

And a follow up about CC standing behind him
Comedy Central Stands Behind Trevor Noah, New ‘Daily Show’ Host, Amid Scrutiny
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/01/arts/t....html?_r=0

The second article puts and interesting spin on the first by sharing one of TN's tweet's:
Quote:To reduce my views to a handful of jokes that didn’t land is not a true reflection of my character, nor my evolution as a comedian.

but which also continues to make me confused about his delivery as a comedian.  Were the tweets in the other article meant to be jokes?  Is he trolling? He just... confuses me.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I'm gonna miss Stewarts smile. If you look at all Late Night hosts, they've been smilers- Trevor Noah almost never smiles, and when he does his deep eyes makes his smile look villainous. This should be interesting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3581 173952 Yesterday at 1:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's not that I don't like you but........ brewer 13 540 March 12, 2024 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1007 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Name That Tune V2.0 onlinebiker 14 573 August 7, 2022 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Did you know? Ryn 2 314 July 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: weaponoffreedom
  Name me........ Brian37 6 621 July 3, 2021 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Name that musician... arewethereyet 29 1514 April 19, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Name a movie that would have been creepy with a sex scene The Valkyrie 40 2194 November 21, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Name your poison. Brian37 49 1737 August 29, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 729 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus