Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airline worker falls asleep, OP ED.
Airline worker falls asleep, OP ED.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nigh...ed-n340931

I hope this worker does not get fired. Having worked for companies open 24 hours, the chase for the buck and wages not keeping up with cost of living, and the bad idea of staggered schedules and anyone would be surprised that someone naps on any job. Well rested workers with set schedules and the ability to pay their bills would not be as likely to take a nap at work. 

I used to work for 7-11, go to work from 11pm to 7am, not get any sleep and have to come back at 4pm. I did nap when I had a co worker. If big business hates loss of productivity then maybe they need to set the conditions so that workers can focus when at work.
RE: Airline worker falls asleep, OP ED.
I've worked for companies that fired employees for sleeping on the job. About the only extenuating circumstance there could be would a doctor's diagnosis of narcolepsy.

(and I'm not saying working for an airline ain't a shitty way of making a living these days due to airline management)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Stop defending big business. I hate that shit. Business owners would not be rich without the workers. Shareholders would not make profits without the workers. No one is saying never fire anyone. I am saying even if the person is merely being lazy, it is a condition of the climate of big business not caring about workers. If you cant as a worker have a life outside work, how much effort are you going to put into it if you have no stability off the clock?

It's not just airlines, it is places like Walmart, 7-11, down to mom and pop shops. Livable wages would go a long way to better productivity. It would be less likely someone would be lazy or exhausted even if they are trying. Multi tasking and overworking yourself actually costs business long term more in lost productivity. Business is sacrificing our long term stability for short term gain.
Yeah Brian, because nobody ever shows up to work with a bad hangover. I'm certainly not saying this is what happened, but the idea that this is the airline's fault in particular or the fault of 'big business' in general is ridiculous. 

The only scenario that might save this person is if he had some extenuating circumstance that was communicated to a supervisor and he was subsequently told to get to work or lose his job. 
I used to sleep every single day at work...however, I always did so on my own break time. Lunch was snarf some food as fast as possible so I could squeeze in a nap.

I HAVE overslept my break time. This usually resulted in being woken up by coworkers teasing me pretty badly while I drooled on my desk. But since I was doing it on my break, I never got in trouble for that. I sometimes take 2 or 3 naps a day....(BTW, I am actually being evaluated for Narcolepsy as we speak. My doc has referred me to a sleep center where my first appointment is next week, as she suspects my anxiety and depression are actually the result of a sleep disorder, likely narcolepsy as I have 3 living relatives with it).

Sorry, got off topic there. But yeah, I feel bad for this person. If they were sleep while on the clock though....I understand why they were fired. If they fell asleep on a break or after work, then no, they shouldn't have been fired.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Aroura, you may also have sleep apnea. I used to nap all the time because of that. Now I have a CPAP machine that keeps my airway open. What a difference!
(April 14, 2015 at 11:18 am)Brian37 Wrote: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nigh...ed-n340931

If big business hates loss of productivity then maybe they need to set the conditions so that workers can focus when at work.

I totally agree.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I have a cousin who's a baggage handler. Some years ago he noted a serious problem with a plane and brought it to the attention of a supervisor (this is not part of his job) and he received a commendation from management for averting a possible hull loss.

I'd like to think there are more employees still working for airlines these days like my cousin instead of the napping guy . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 14, 2015 at 6:14 pm)Cato Wrote: Yeah Brian, because nobody ever shows up to work with a bad hangover. I'm certainly not saying this is what happened, but the idea that this is the airline's fault in particular or the fault of 'big business' in general is ridiculous. 

The only scenario that might save this person is if he had some extenuating circumstance that was communicated to a supervisor and he was subsequently told to get to work or lose his job. 

If you noticed my OP I never said don't fire ever. I am saying even without taking a nap that face you see behind the counter giving you a bad attitude isn't always the individual. Our current business climate pits the consumer vs the employee and with big business especially the assholes who run them are not there in the trenches with the employees. Their business models are based on optimal conditions and far more often than not are on paper not the reality the employee deals with.

The best bosses and managers I have worked for don't force you into  a script, give you what you need and stay out of your way and listen. The worst bosses are usually bean counters who sit in cubicals 5 states away and would not put their own family members through the crap they put their employees through.

Economic stability and a life outside the job and affordable living benefits everyone. Our global corporatism as a collective climate is doing nothing but sucking money to the top.

(April 14, 2015 at 6:25 pm)Aroura Wrote: I used to sleep every single day at work...however, I always did so on my own break time.  Lunch was snarf some food as fast as possible so I could squeeze in a nap.  

I HAVE overslept my break time.  This usually resulted in being woken up by coworkers teasing me pretty badly while I drooled on my desk.  But since I was doing it on my break, I never got in trouble for that.  I sometimes take 2 or 3 naps a day....(BTW, I am actually being evaluated for Narcolepsy as we speak.  My doc has referred me to a sleep center where my first appointment is next week, as she suspects my anxiety and depression are actually the result of a sleep disorder, likely narcolepsy as I have 3 living relatives with it).

Sorry, got off topic there.  But yeah, I feel bad for this person. If they were sleep while on the clock though....I understand why they were fired.  If they fell asleep on a break or after work, then no, they shouldn't have been fired.

Still not my point, even if they were napping when they were not supposed to, it really is no different than what I have seen with wide awake waitresses who get attitude from customers when the owner has been too much of a cheap skate to have enough employees on the clock. Again, I am not talking about never firing. I am talking about our long term national climate that makes people work longer hours for less pay. 

If you as an employer don't give your employees enough to live on, they are going to be too worn out on the clock or they wont give a fuck. Our business climate long term has eroded stability and while it benefits CEOs and shareholders short term, the wider the cost of living gap gets for more the worse off everyone will be, including the rich.
(April 14, 2015 at 11:31 am)Brian37 Wrote: Stop defending big business. I hate that shit. Business owners would not be rich without the workers.
And workers would not have jobs without business owners.

My boss (the owner) bills clients $200 for an hour of my work. I get $80 of that. Of the $120 difference, about half goes to overhead, and half goes to making him rich. And why shouldn't it? He has to go to all the trouble of finding clients and keeping the business running. He goes on vacation and still thinks constantly about his business, and ends up answering emails a couple hours a day anyway. OTOH, when I leave for the weekend, I leave completely.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church attendance falls in the US Fake Messiah 4 387 March 31, 2021 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  North Korea launches ballistic missile across northern Japan, falls into sea Alex K 45 11236 August 30, 2017 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  CEOs now paid approximately 183 times the average UK worker abaris 13 1726 August 20, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Detroit EMS worker fired for refusing CPR on a baby c172 1 985 June 26, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist