Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Majority of Americans support gay rights over religious freedom bills
Majority of Americans support gay rights over religious freedom bills
Quote:A majority of Americans believe businesses should not be allowed to refuse services based on their religious beliefs in the wake of controversies in Indiana and Arkansas over gay rights and religious freedom, a Reuters/Ipsos poll found on Thursday.

The poll, conducted April 6 to 8, also found that 52 percent of Americans support allowing same-sex couples to marry, far more than the 32 percent who oppose it.

The survey results suggest a split over the issue between Americans and some of the politicians who represent them.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/09/us-usa-religion-poll-idUSKBN0N00A720150409

Quote:Second National Poll This Week Shows Americans Reject LGBT Discrimination

Another new poll this week shows that Americans are standing with LGBT Americans and opposing Indiana-style “religious freedom” laws that allow businesses to discriminate against customers because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

According to MSNBC, the NBC News poll “found that 63% of Americans say business owners should be required to provide products or services to individuals who are gay or lesbian, while 37% say the business owner should be allowed to refuse if homosexuality is against their religious beliefs… Across all ages and races, Americans say a business must serve gays and lesbians no matter the owner’s religious beliefs.”

This is the second poll released this week showing strong support for LGBT Americans to be protected against discrimination.

http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/second-nat...socialteam
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Majority of Americans support gay rights over religious freedom bills
Now sort it by age. Lotsa old boomers in the anti-gay camp.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Yeah, old farts hate change.
~ Erin Hunter
That's great! I'm impressed. Sad that there should be any doubt about it, but there we go.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The writing is SO on the wall on this issue - in neon, block letters. Anyone going against gay rights is going to be steamrolled. It's amazing that anyone could not see this.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(April 14, 2015 at 5:52 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: It's amazing that anyone could not see this.

Their religion blinds them to reality.  
~ Erin Hunter
The majority of Americans are more liberal than our government would suggest. The problem is that we're locked into a two-party system and the best we can vote for is often a corporate-friendly Conserva-Dem. 
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(April 14, 2015 at 4:00 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Now sort it by age.  Lotsa old boomers in the anti-gay camp.

Luckily, they're going to die off, leaving people with more rational views behind.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Can't we support both?
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(April 14, 2015 at 7:58 pm)Polaris Wrote: Can't we support both?

Are you kidding?

That's like stating, "We should allow businesses to turn away black people due to their skin color but the black people can still have their other rights".  How is that equal and non-prejudiced?  
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blinken practices Liberal Appeasement: "Do not support Taiwan's Independence". Nishant Xavier 37 2007 June 21, 2023 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Women's Rights Lek 314 18511 April 25, 2023 at 5:22 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  HIV drug mandate violates religious freedom, judge rules zebo-the-fat 6 1011 September 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Leaked Supreme Court Decision signals majority set to overturn Roe v. Wade Cecelia 234 17573 June 7, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  New Zealand - you gotta be this old to have rights. onlinebiker 123 5449 December 13, 2021 at 5:18 pm
  6% Of Americans Think They Would Win A Fight Against A Grizzly Bear BrianSoddingBoru4 25 846 May 17, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I officially support Biden in the US elections WinterHold 34 2447 October 22, 2020 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  J.K. Rowling had to return civil rights award Foxaèr 68 5002 October 16, 2020 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Rank Stranger
  [Serious] G-20 leaders, don’t forget the women’s rights advocates rotting in Saudi prisons WinterHold 47 2200 September 23, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Border Control Gets Bipartisan Support onlinebiker 20 1369 August 6, 2020 at 11:05 pm