Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kubuntu from USB stick.
Kubuntu from USB stick.
I've got a 2GB USB stick that I wanted to use as a bootable device with Kubuntu, as I have Ubuntu running on the hard drive and I didn't want a third OS on the drive.

So in Ubuntu I used the "Create a USB startup disk" option from the administration menu. Ubuntu sees my USB drive just fine, the ISO file is downloaded and the CRC was checked. At first I got an DBUS error message that it could not format the USB stick. So I went in with the disk manager and removed the existing partition there, and then the USB creation utility went fine.

But, after I restarted my laptop, with the USB stick in place, it would come u with the blue cannonical screen, ask me what language, and then it tried to go and load Kubuntu. Then the screen went blank. At first I thought it was because of USB it might take some time to load, but after 3 minutes there was still only a blank screen. I then preceeded to use ctrl-alt-f1 to see if I could get in the first screen, but when I pushe the ctrl it already started to display /init errors. I could then type away, help was working. It never got past its bootloader.

So today at work I tried it here, and the results are the same. So I looked on my hard drive as I remembered that I still had an ubuntu image here (internet at work is so slow that I try to avoid downloading complete ISO images) and downloaded a USB boot creation utility for windows from pendrivelinux.

That image installed and booted without a problem. On my old laptop that I still had in storage, on a modern dell desktop, it runs like a charm.

Can anybody tell me why the Ubuntu USB boot does work, and the Kubuntu one doesn't?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Kubuntu from USB stick.
Have you tried this tutorial?

http://principialabs.com/usbuntu-install...usb-drive/
(March 31, 2010 at 6:34 am)Tiberius Wrote: Have you tried this tutorial?

http://principialabs.com/usbuntu-install...usb-drive/

I did find that same tutorial, but it is somewhat outdated.

Besides, after the image was put on the 2GB I had plenty of space left, so I don't know why exactly he needed 4GB specifically. The Ubuntu that I have on it now is also just over the 30% mark of the entire stick.

I will try again with the Kubuntu image from Windows tonight. I'll boot to XP on the laptop, and use the pendrivelinux usb creator with the Kubuntu image. Perhaps it is a problem in the Ubuntu USB creator utility.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Perhaps. There are many other USB boot disk creators for Linux though. If the Kubuntu image doesn't work, perhaps trying one of them might?
I'll certainly give it a try. I'm up for testing some more anyway, so I can update my linux-test.nl website.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
okay, the installation with pendrivelinux under Windows worked.

Adrian, got some tips on which USB utilities to use under Linux?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
They have a poll on this site which lists a few: http://www.linuxliveusb.com
I use kububtu. KDE4 is lush Smile
It looks nice, but so far I think I prefer Gnome to be honest. But I'll keep testing.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
Gah! Heathen! Gnome is for children - ultimate built in messability - datz wot KDE haz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Avril Lavigne's been getting a bit of stick lately Napoléon 24 4515 May 6, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie