Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What?; Passive?
What?; Passive?
Passive Atheist? What the hell? I've no idea, I just pulled out of a hat somewhere along the line.

As a child I was confused by the "knowledge" that someone named Christ died to save me yet loved me, somehow even at the tender age of six or seven it didn't compute. The whole concept of "God" who looked over me (kept his eye on every sparrow) just didn't make sense so I guess I have been an atheist from the very beginning.

Still I grew up in a Christian world and more or less accepted the concept of a God and eventually came to the conclusion that maybe God did not exist but if he/she/they did I'd go to heaven (another concept I was skeptical of) because I felt I lived a basically Christan life and therefore would be "forgiven" (for what I had no idea).

Over the intervening years I became more and more convinced there was no such thing as a God, heaven or hell. After a stint in the military and subsequent collage, member of a number of different churches, three baptisms and many prayers never answered I decided I was, indeed, an atheist. Today I am even more convinced atheism is the only possible position.

Robert
Robert
Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.

RE: What?; Passive?
Heya Robert, from another Robert Smile Cool user name too!

Thanks for telling us your story. It sounds like you're too sceptically minded to fall for the regular tricks so they never properly got their claws into you. Like you, I've only become more convinced over time that atheism is the only rational position for anyone who is interested in actual truth.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hello Robert! Welcome to AF. Smile
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Also welcome. While I wouldn't get convinced too quickly regarding religious matters, it is clear religion gets slathered rather heavily over reality. We live centuries into the Age of Reason yet indeed are our gods demanding, and about all the wrong things to be demanding about.

Best wishes Wink
Welcome, Robert Smile
Welcome Passive Atheist!

(April 15, 2015 at 2:04 pm)robvalue Wrote: Heya Robert, from another Robert Smile Cool user name too!

Your name is Robert!?!? I had you pegged as a Benjamin.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome to the forum!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Welcome!