Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are not the only ones ?
We are not the only ones ?
Homo sapiens apparently are not the only species of humans that have evolved past the primate stage. I read in a french science magazine that the homo neanderthalis had the same evolutions that homo sapiens have over the big primates. However they apparently were not as adequate to survival as our species were and went extinct.

Is that accurate ? If it is, it would be evidence that God did not create us as the only "chosen" species.
RE: We are not the only ones ?
Has it been determined that they actually died out, or is it possible that the neanderthal 'genes' became less prevalent. I'm not entirely convinced that the two species didn't interbreed.
''Chosen'' for what?
''Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.'' Robert Oppenheimer
I have a great article on Neanderthals and their extinction but it's in Dutch. I'd have to look it up and translate a bit.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Didn't homo sapiens do for home neanderthals? (technical speak pplz Wink )
(March 31, 2010 at 5:07 pm)RedFish Wrote: Has it been determined that they actually died out, or is it possible that the neanderthal 'genes' became less prevalent. I'm not entirely convinced that the two species didn't interbreed.
''Chosen'' for what?

There is no neanderthal genes in Homo Sapiens in the sense you used that phrase.

However, hominini and early chimpanzees exchanged DNA up to a few thousand years after both split. Goes to show hybrid vigour is hard to remove.
But it's estimated that we shared up to 95-99/cent of our genes with them, and their 'dying out' has still not been conclusively proved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal See the bit on Interbreeding Hypotheses. Don't know what it's like where you live, but here you'll find no end of 'neanderthals' roaming the street of a weekend. I thought alcohol 'turned back the clock', as it were.
I'm all for hybrid vigour..Naughty
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...220321.htm

Quote:Although the reality of this 'Ebro Frontier' pattern has gained wide acceptance since it was first proposed by Professor Zilhão some twenty years ago, two important aspects of the model have remained the object of unresolved controversy: the exact duration of the frontier; and the causes underlying the eventual disappearance of those refugial Neanderthal populations (ecology and climate, or competition with modern human immigrants).

The article is a bit short and doesn't go into much detail, but it is quite recent.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(April 1, 2010 at 12:14 am)RedFish Wrote: But it's estimated that we shared up to 95-99/cent of our genes with them, and their 'dying out' has still not been conclusively proved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal See the bit on Interbreeding Hypotheses. Don't know what it's like where you live, but here you'll find no end of 'neanderthals' roaming the street of a weekend. I thought alcohol 'turned back the clock', as it were.
I'm all for hybrid vigour..Naughty

You share something like 45% of your fucking genes with a goddamn mushroom. Your statement is painfully unaware that unless the similarities is 99.999% or so, it simply doesn't work.

mtDNA has shown that humans rarely to never interbred with the developed buggers. Read the fucking paper:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob...1ff0e394fb
You can believe you are "45% mushroom" if you want to Syn...that's your choice. I'll believe the truth though; that we were all created by a loving God.
Wow, a bit insulting in your response, but par for the course. Do you drink? Alcohol I mean. I've read the paper, and it's not actually disproving anything I 'postulated'. They admit to their potential for inaccuracy, and the level of 'assumption' made. Almost to never is close enough for me, I mean no-one alive today was actually there, were they?
You be 45% mushroom, makes no difference to me. I see the reconstructed face, and a person, therefore a relative. Closer than a fkn bonobo anyway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2839 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Nuns are not only Christians Indir 24 2764 October 23, 2018 at 7:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Nuns are not only Christians Indir 1 498 October 19, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7435 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
Question Does detector LIGO work on freewill only? theBorg 49 6510 September 17, 2016 at 7:42 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  False pagan gods are not the True ones? theBorg 88 15818 August 17, 2016 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Foxaèr 5 1948 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is the ''Only a minority of Muslims are radical'' true? TheMessiah 77 19372 June 17, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Does your God Only Live in your Mind? Salacious B. Crumb 2 1637 May 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  So..... Not Only God but a Court Says "FUCK YOU." Minimalist 53 10496 March 12, 2015 at 3:46 am
Last Post: robvalue