Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suppose God (christian) was proved to exist (imperically)?
Suppose God (christian) was proved to exist (imperically)?
As a thought experiment suppose, just for the moment that it was proven that the Christ and[Image: 535.gif]   Biblical God did, in fact, exist.

How would it affect your atheism? How would you reconcile yourself to embracing the need to worship him, Worship  to denying your atheism? Dead Horse

Would you study the Bible?

I would be in deep shit, my belief is so ingrained I don't think I'd be able to make the change.

Robert
Robert
Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.

RE: Suppose God (christian) was proved to exist (imperically)?
I wouldn't be an atheist anymore. I'd probably be a maltheist. He may exist, but if the bible is an accurate representation of who he is, I wouldn't want anything to do with him.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(April 19, 2015 at 6:39 pm)Passive Atheist Wrote: As a thought experiment suppose, just for the moment that it was proven that the Christ and[Image: 535.gif]   Biblical God did, in fact, exist.

How would it affect your atheism? How would you reconcile yourself to embracing the need to worship him, Worship  to denying your atheism? Dead Horse

I would be in deep shit, my belief is so ingrained I don't think I'd be able to make the change.

Robert

Proof of the Christian god would certainly cause me to cease to be an atheist because it would cause me to believe in a god.

However, I've read the Bible a number of times, and I'm not at all sure it would cause me to worship such a god.  The Christian god is a pretty despicable character.  If he were a person, we'd put him right up there with Hitler, Stalin, etc.  The need to be worshiped is pretty despicable too when it comes right down to it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
If the christian god could be proven to exist, then I would believe that he exists. That's it.

I wouldn't worship him- he doesn't need it and we both have better things to do with our time- nor would I take his moral commandments as factually moral, where they conflict with my own understanding of morality, just because god says so; he would need to provide more justification for his commandments than just fiat assertion, regardless of the authority he demands.

Basically, "god exists," does not entail that all the claims he makes are automatically true, and if he can't justify those with evidence, then I'm not going to believe them just because god said them.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
We could ask God to explain where he has been all these years and why he hasn't kept his promises.
We could ask God to fix the many contradictions and lies in the Bible.
We could ask God to deal with all the money-grubbing, decietful sociopaths that inhabit church offices.
... ?
I'd probably go through the five stages of grief, and after I reached acceptance, I'd ask Satan for wicked bass-playing skills!
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
God would have some serious explaining to do.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Trust me, xtians definitely don't want me on their team; any more than I would want to be there myself. Their pet god would have a shitload of explaining to do and I would be among those holding it accountable to every single thing.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(April 19, 2015 at 6:39 pm)Passive Atheist Wrote: As a thought experiment suppose, just for the moment that it was proven that the Christ and[Image: 535.gif]   Biblical God did, in fact, exist.

Robert

Your belief in what is so ingrained? Are you saying that if god was proven to exist, you would still believe there is no god? That really makes no sense because if the Christian god was proven to you, that would mean you accept the evidence for his existence and wouldn't be able to choose not to believe.
I'm with Chad on this one....the actual existence of the character - as a real being..... is just about the only thing that could make that character even more deplorable than it already is.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1025 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1972 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5765 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  I Suppose This is "Uncivil" Minimalist 16 1897 December 3, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38781 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion RiddledWithFear 105 18262 December 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?" RiddledWithFear 17 2962 December 21, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  I am a pixieist, what do you think of my proof that universe creating pixies exist? Simon Moon 69 10794 November 13, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Expired
  Explaining the fact that we exist OttoVonKerpen 84 11130 November 5, 2016 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  2014 article in online science journal: "Atheists Might Not Exist" Whateverist 15 4086 July 4, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie