Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bank Accounts
Bank Accounts
Jesus made several statements that seem to indicate that Christians shouldn't save their money. Are there any Christian groups that don't believe in saving money or don't use banks?

Quote:Matthew 6:19-21
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Quote:Matthew 19:21

Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Quote:Luke 12:33

"Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys.

There are also many Old Testament verses about not charging fellow Hebrews usury. There are more verses against charging interest than there are about homosexuality being an abomination. If the number of verses influenced Christian politics than there would be mass protests against banks.

I don't know if there are similar verses in the Quran that seem to go against saving wealth. Are there Muslim groups that don't use banks? 
RE: Bank Accounts
(April 22, 2015 at 7:40 pm)Nope Wrote: There are more verses against charging interest than there are about homosexuality being an abomination.
I think we've already established that discrimination against homosexuals is more to do with personal opinions than it is to do wth religion. Religion certainly promotes it, but for most homophobes it's an excuse to hide behind.
"Oh, the Bible says it's wrong so I don't agree with it" is easier than facing up to your bigotry,
On topic, there is only one bank I actually trust in the UK, and they are the ONLY bank I'll deal with. The rest can go fuck themselves, greedy bastards.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

If it wasn't for the literary style and the fact Jesus mentions Heaven, I would say I was reading Karl Marx.

I think it's pretty clear that Christian charity to the poor is based on verses like those but I don't see what this has to do with bank accounts specifically - It just means you should give your money away if you have too many
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Oh. I thought this was a thread where we shared our bank account numbers.

*moving on..
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Expecting any Christers to update their scripture cherry pick list at this late date is a futile endeavor.

They know better than Jesus now, and they certainly aren't going to let a few inconvenient verses ruin their day.

Face it Jesus, you're followers have taken the lead, you might as well fall in line.

crikey!  what we need atheists for these days when the fucking Christians are out there doing all the work ????????????????????????
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 22, 2015 at 9:23 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Oh. I thought this was a thread where we shared our bank account numbers.

*moving on..

ITT we learn SteelCurtain is actually a Nigerian prince, who requires your assistance in a matter of extreme urgency.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(April 22, 2015 at 7:40 pm)Nope Wrote: Jesus made several statements that seem to indicate that Christians shouldn't save their money. Are there any Christian groups that don't believe in saving money or don't use banks?

Quote:Matthew 6:19-21
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Quote:Matthew 19:21

Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Quote:Luke 12:33

"Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys.

There are also many Old Testament verses about not charging fellow Hebrews usury. There are more verses against charging interest than there are about homosexuality being an abomination. If the number of verses influenced Christian politics than there would be mass protests against banks.

I don't know if there are similar verses in the Quran that seem to go against saving wealth. Are there Muslim groups that don't use banks? 

These verses are a teaching against putting wealth or other things before God, we should be willing to give of what we have without worry and selfish acknowledgment .

I've known several wealthy Christians who give tremendous amounts of money and work to the church.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
What part of sell your possessions did you not understand?

Jesus preached about an immanent kingdom of god on earth in which the poor and downtrodden would rule and the rich would suffer. His suggestion to sell ALL your possessions would make sense in that context as does the comment about rich men, camels, and eyes of needles. . . . . Of course it's about 4000 to to 6000 generations later and the kingdom still hasn't come. So maybe we should consider the possibility he was wrong about that.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
If bank accounts were empty because our money was actually used to ensure equal socio-economic status for all that would be such a shame for the banks. NOT.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Yeah, I think Jesus was getting people ready for a short-term wait, which is why his advice is often a load of shish-kebab in the long term.

http://youtu.be/5mLOUWl-L-s
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So today at the bank................ Brian37 72 11853 March 15, 2018 at 7:41 am
Last Post: Banned
  Bank Chief Methodist Minister Caught Buying Meth & Cocaine... Fidel_Castronaut 6 1574 November 23, 2013 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist