Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Ruled Your Own Country, Would You Ban Religion?
If You Ruled Your Own Country, Would You Ban Religion?
If you were in charge of establishing a new plot of land that hadn't been colonized yet, based on what you've seen throughout the history of this planet, would you make organized religion illegal?

I think I would allow organized religion as long as it had no bigotry and evil in its doctrines, (sorry, no islam, christianity, etc etc) and didn't encourage unethical behavior. Please don't ask anyone to define unethical behavior for you. My true feelings tell me to ban it, because it does more harm than good in a society, but at the same time, I'd want people to have the liberty to do so, if they must. I'm about 50 50 on it. What would you guys do?

Oh yeah, and tax them. 40% seem fair? Smile It leaves 60% for god. I hear he's been saving up for his new heavenly mansion by the beach.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
RE: If You Ruled Your Own Country, Would You Ban Religion?
I would keep the government out of religion and vice versa, so no, religion is completely allowed.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I would allow freedom of religion, provided it doesn't interfere with legislation and people's rights.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Of course not. Even if I thought it was a good idea, which I don't, it is impossible to realize without creating an orwellian abomination.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I would not prohibit religion. However, I would tax them the same as any other organization, and not allow them any special privileges or exemptions from following the law. I would also require that everyone attend public schools, in which science, logic, and philosophy, among other things, would be taught from an early age.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I think I would ban churches not religion.  People would be free to believe whatever they wanted but no tax-exempt property.  If they want to meet, meet in their homes.
The world would not suffer if there were no churches, synagogues,  mosques or temples.  Keeps down the political ambitions of preachers, too.
(April 29, 2015 at 12:13 pm)Salacious B. Crumb Wrote: If you were in charge of establishing a new plot of land that hadn't been colonized yet, based on what you've seen throughout the history of this planet, would you make organized religion illegal?

I think I would allow organized religion as long as it had no bigotry and evil in its doctrines, (sorry, no islam, christianity, etc etc) and didn't encourage unethical behavior. Please don't ask anyone to define unethical behavior for you. My true feelings tell me to ban it, because it does more harm than good in a society, but at the same time, I'd want people to have the liberty to do so, if they must. I'm about 50 50 on it. What would you guys do?

Oh yeah, and tax them. 40% seem fair? Smile It leaves 60% for god. I hear he's been saving up for his new heavenly mansion by the beach.

Who else would we laugh at?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I'd make the Congregation of Jehovah's Presbytery of Zion the state religion, but I'd allow others to exist.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I wouldn't ban it. Keep it out of politics and government. And...dem taxes. Smile
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
Interesting points, I wouldn't technically say I was 50 50, it's just a little deeper than that. I totally agree with the orwellian society comment, I wouldn't want that. A thing that helps stop the madness would be what Pyyrho said, the law trumps all. No special catering to religions, if your religion says you have to kill people, you're religion wouldn't flourish here, SORRY!

My alternative would have been something like saying, "We are a secular country, you have freedom from religion here." I think a lot of people would migrate to that country, but it would be too difficult to keep it religion free. It probably would make it like a country like Sweden though, where secularism would be the majority. You wouldn't feel like you were doing something so wrong all time for not believing in myths.
t way.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4043 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  I need a new passport, which country is officially atheist? BananaFlambe 44 2534 December 20, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I own an XBOX and that's good enough for me. Angrboda 5 459 July 9, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1743 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4302 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to beat a presupp at their own game Superjock 150 12018 April 16, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  James Randi deserves his own RIP thread. Brian37 27 2002 January 6, 2021 at 11:39 am
Last Post: RozzerusUnrelentus
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4466 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4234 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3195 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty