Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does your God Only Live in your Mind?
Does your God Only Live in your Mind?
This is something that will hopefully provoke thought among the religious in layman's terms (only terms I know), and maybe the heathens will add to it too.

You create your own god, and him/she/it lives in your mind. When you think about him in your head over and over, you are making that imagined character even more real. You see him how you want to see him, you mold him to every good thought, feeling, and experience you have had in your life. After time, he becomes so powerful in your mind, that you 'know' he's there and you can 'feel' him. Every good thing that happens to you, you attribute to him, and you find refuge in him when you're in a state of sorrow. However, that him is not a him, it's a small imagination land you're running to in your brain. It's basically a memory that you keep going to, and you add something to it each time. It's all in your brain, and you trick yourself into believing it's reality.

There are so many versions of god. Everyone that believes, has a different one. Even if you are of the same religion, there will always be something different that you perceive about this shared god. In America, a statue of jesus, most of the time will be white. In Africa, it would likely be black. Some people fear the christian god, some feel his love, and know they will be saved no matter what. The possibilities are endless. You can imagine your god however you want him to be, and give him any moral compass you want (of course to match your own, so you're always justified in whatever you do), a thing religious people excel at.

I haven't aimed this discussion to head towards, "There must be a prime mover out there", there are other threads arguing that. I'm arguing this same exact feeling that muslims, christians, hindus, jews, etc., say they feel. To me, it's delusional thinking. You make yourself feel good through meditation, so you attribute it to your god. Can you agree that there is a very strong possibility that you are completely deluding yourself by attributing your feelings to an imaginary friend?
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
RE: Does your God Only Live in your Mind?
Indeed, and the strong evidence for this is that everyone's version of God agrees with them about everything. That indicates a personally created God rather than one that exists independently.

I'd be interested to know exactly what image theists have in their mind when they imagine "God". We are so visual driven, I'd be surprised if they didn't have some sort of thing that pops into their brain.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Does your God Only Live in your Mind?
(May 2, 2015 at 12:51 pm)robvalue Wrote: I'd be interested to know exactly what image theists have in their mind when they imagine "God".

Usually a god that is pleased with everything they do, and one that is going to torture every enemy that they have made in their lives.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does science always upstage God? ignoramus 940 123361 October 26, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2697 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Question on mind miaharun 19 1015 March 3, 2022 at 11:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 4929 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Funny video - Saturday Night Live - teen thanks god during thanksgiving Ferrocyanide 4 769 November 7, 2021 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11119 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1371 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why does God get the credit? Cod 91 7322 July 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: comet
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7004 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2836 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37