Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conclave in progress...
Conclave in progress...
Forget the pope, the Berliner Philharmoniker are deciding who will be the successor of Sir Simon Rattle. The procedure is largely identical to the conclave in the Vatican, except there's no smoke - I think.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert...39923.html

I'm a big fan of Rattle and am very sad to see him go (although he'll stay for another two or three years). There are some preferiti, as Dan Brown would say, that I would really not like to see as the next music pope.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Conclave in progress...
I bet there is a little smoke........

Angel
Don't worry.  Some of them have not lasted very long, so if you get one you don't like, it might be a very short time before a new one is selected.  On the other hand, Herbert von Karajan was head of the Berlin Philharmonic for about 35 years, so it could be that the next one will last a long time.  But somehow I doubt that that is the sort of situation you will be facing.

Anyway, there are a lot of recordings already made, so its primary impact will be on hearing music live in person.  You can always select previous conductors for recordings that you choose, for everything that has been recorded.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Yeah.. yeah. I still don't want Thielemann.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Black smoke in Berlin... No decision was reached, the vote is postponed, possibly for an entire year.

So, it was all just a tease.

(May 11, 2015 at 11:06 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: So, it was all just a tease.

Yeah, but it was worth it - they got #BerlinerPhilharmoniker trending on German Twitter, and the twitter shtream was pretty hilarious.

Would you be so good as to translate a couple of the hilarious bits for us and post them here?

Uhm, it'll be difficult to transport the situational humour from a twitter stream.
A lot of it hinged on the fact that the orchestra members were supposed to call a prospective candidate to ask whether they accept, and a bunch of random people were apologizing on twitter for delaying the process because they supposedly just rejected the offer. Some proposed to exclude the violists from the vote in order to make the process easier, and other typical musician jokes.
Some spread rumours that certain soccer coaches were called. Others proposed to do prank phone calls with certain candidates. Others proposed that having a conductor was old fashioned and that they should go with the times and become an anarchic collective. Some jokes making fun of Thielemann's old fashioned-ness... Some official TV station twitter accounts posted lame music jokes and ancient puns based on composer names.

Twitter Wrote:a hard line will be taken on applause between movements - especially during Tchaikovsky
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan