Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Must Be Another Example of that Invisible Hand of the Market!
Must Be Another Example of that Invisible Hand of the Market!
Watch out, Oklahoma...you're fucked.  But you deserve it for electing these shits in the first place.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/oklahoma...-fracking/

Quote:Oklahoma oil billionaire demanded university fire scientists studying dangers of fracking

Quote:According to Bloomberg Business, Continental Resources CEO Harold Hamm met with Larry Grillot, dean of the university’s Mewbourne College of Earth and Energy, in 2014 and expressed his dismay with work being done on the school’s Oklahoma Geological Survey.

“Mr. Hamm is very upset at some of the earthquake reporting to the point that he would like to see select OGS staff dismissed,” Grillot wrote to Dammy Hilliard, University Vice President for External Relations and Planning.
In the email, Grillot noted that Hamm had made a veiled threat to the university, telling the dean, “he would be visiting with Governor [Mary] Fallin on the topic of moving the OGS out of the University of Oklahoma.”
RE: Must Be Another Example of that Invisible Hand of the Market!
That ain't nothing next to Wyoming's new law which made it a crime to gather any environmental data and sharing the data with Federal or STATE agencies.

This is because Wyoming ranchers would like their cattle to be able to randomly shit in the rivers and streams of Wyoming, and would not like any Wyoming citizen who gets sick from the resulting E. coli outbreak in the rivers and streams of Wyoming to be able to give state or federal agencies the data needed to support regulation on where ranchers can let their cattles shit, for the sake of the health of the citizens of Wyoming.
(May 16, 2015 at 4:10 pm)Chuck Wrote: That ain't nothing next to Wyoming's new law which made it a crime to gather any environmental data and sharing the data with Federal or STATE agencies.

This is because Wyoming ranchers would like their cattle to be able to randomly shit in the rivers and streams of Wyoming, and would not like any Wyoming citizen who gets sick from the resulting E. coli outbreak in the rivers and streams of Wyoming to be able to give state or federal agencies the data needed to support regulation on where ranchers can let their cattles shit, for the sake of the health of the citizens of Wyoming.

That's why I'm not overly fond of the American system. Whenever there's a dime to be made, people's wellbeing comes second. Even down to the most basic level of letting them rot in the streets, if they can't pay for a treatment.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Quote:Whenever there's a dime to be made, people's wellbeing comes second. Even down to the most basic level of letting them rot in the streets, if they can't pay for a treatment.

Hey, haven't you heard?  We're xcepshunil.
(May 16, 2015 at 4:17 pm)abaris Wrote:
(May 16, 2015 at 4:10 pm)Chuck Wrote: That ain't nothing next to Wyoming's new law which made it a crime to gather any environmental data and sharing the data with Federal or STATE agencies.

That's why I'm not overly fond of the American system. Whenever there's a dime to be made, people's wellbeing comes second. Even down to the most basic level of letting them rot in the streets, if they can't pay for a treatment.

I think it's fair to say the singular hallmark of modern American conservatism is the encouragement of Calvinistic vindictiveness towards those whom one has been indoctrinated to perceive as being not quite like oneself.    To facilitate this conservatism encourages that narcissistic but idiotic exceptionalism mentality which allows one to reflexively deem those not like oneself to be more flawed than oneself.
(May 17, 2015 at 11:44 am)Chuck Wrote: To facilitate this conservatism encourages that narcissistic but idiotic exceptionalism mentality which allows one to reflexively deem those not like oneself to be more flawed than oneself.

I'm not thinking about exceptionalism, I'm thinking about making as much money as possible by any means possible as the ultimate value. And that's not even a new phenomenon. Robber barons like Andrew Carnegy, who is ultimately responsible for a factory massacre, are presented as role models. So human life and wellbeing come second when there's a dime to be made and it manifests in the conservative disregard for the poor and needy. The belief that everything in life is a commodity. Kind of a Ferengi culture, if you so wish.

That's what makes me concerned, since there are certain powers in Europe, who have wet dreams about doing the same.
I think exceptionalism in a broader sense forms the moral foundation of making the last buck at the expense of everyone else.

I can, therefore I am exceptional, and because I am exceptional, i am entitled to make it suck to be you and rightly so. 
(May 17, 2015 at 12:09 pm)abaris Wrote:
(May 17, 2015 at 11:44 am)Chuck Wrote: That's what makes me concerned, since there are certain powers in Europe, who have wet dreams about doing the same.

Which is why it is such a shame the tories won in the UK election.

We are now screwed.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 17, 2015 at 12:16 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Which is why it is such a shame the tories won in the UK election.

We are now crewed.

i think the British moneyed and titled classes has had a sense of exceptionalism more long standing, more deeply ingrained, and better armored with more layers of cunningly adapted and polished justification, albeit somewhat more dented by experiences since end of WWI, than any possessed by over-confident nouveau Riche yokels on this side of the pond.
(May 17, 2015 at 12:37 pm)Chuck Wrote: i think the British moneyed and titled classes has had a sense of exceptionalism more long standing, more deeply ingrained, and better armored with more layers of cunningly adapted and polished justification, albeit somewhat more dented by experiences since end of WWI, than any possessed by over-confident nouveau Riche yokels on this side of the pond.

I guess, not losing any world wars and therefore still having the same old upper class might play a role.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Must see SCOTUS cases. onlinebiker 24 1218 October 12, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Lets hand out guns like candy. Kenosha edition. Brian37 15 686 August 27, 2020 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  US Oil Market Crashes BrianSoddingBoru4 42 3338 April 23, 2020 at 8:17 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Greta Thunberg: adults who attack her ‘must feel threatened’ EgoDeath 148 8512 October 3, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Fed Court, "hand over 8yrs of your finances" Brian37 15 1009 May 22, 2019 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  FORBES OP/ED blasts the global market. Brian37 17 1316 May 20, 2019 at 11:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The market and where the economy is going. Jackalope 19 2262 December 15, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Donald Trump Thinks that the F-35 is Invisible to the Naked Eye... ReptilianPeon 32 4820 November 18, 2018 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Arizona Gets One Right. Must Have Been An Accident. Minimalist 0 428 October 23, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Spicoli "Take that Mr Hand". Brian37 0 329 October 17, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37