Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob, there I said it
Noob, there I said it
Long time lurker, first time writer.  I've recently signed up to your lovely forum, and decided to do a quick intro.  

Well, where does one start?  I've "officially" considered myself an atheist for about 10 years or so now.  I grew up in the Midwest in a quasi-religious family.   As a young child I went to church every Sunday with my parents, but that became less frequent as their parents began needing more and more care in the aging.  As I grew up and read more and more (everything from mythology- including the bible, history and  science to science fiction), now as a 49 year old quasi-adult I like to think as pragmatically as possible.  

I've pretty much always been a skeptic.  Today, that includes God, gods, (pick one any one) ghosts, spirits, haunts, haints, and any and all demonoid phenomenon.  I could possibly  believe in the existence of bigfoot, or the Loch Ness Monster more than the supernatural, but to my mind there has been just as much evidence for the one as the other.  Aliens are a definite maybe, merely from the number of possible habitable worlds in the universe.

I don't know that I'll post much on the forum, but I do so enjoy reading the threads.  Sure seems to be full of interesting people. At the very least now instead of shouting at my computer screen when someone says something I agree and/or disagree with, I can post my opinion; which I'm sure you all want to hear.

I know it's quite a boring first post for someone named Monkeyshines, but trust me, I like rum straight up, it gets better once you get to know me...
RE: Noob, there I said it
Welcome! It is good to know that you drink your rum straight. I am more of a Scotch man myself, and I drink it straight, not watered-down with ice or something else that would contaminate it.

So, what is your favorite rum?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
You cool man!
welcome!

get you pitchfork, the Christians are coming!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome Monkey Shines! More of a beer guy myself.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Welcome!!

I heard there would be christian pitchforks here and someone mentioned a check... Big Grin
Welcome!
I've been closely monitoring your shady lurking activities, Mr. <Guest> Big Grin

(May 22, 2015 at 9:57 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Welcome!  It is good to know that you drink your rum straight.  I am more of a Scotch man myself, and I drink it straight, not watered-down with ice or something else that would contaminate it.

So we might finally agree on something! But there is still room for conflict - islands or highlands? Choose wisely Tongue
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hey there! I'm glad you decided to join us Smile I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome, cap! We been expecting you

(May 23, 2015 at 2:48 am)Alex K Wrote: Welcome!
I've been closely monitoring your shady lurking activities, Mr. <Guest> Big Grin

*cough* stay out of my lane
Welcome!
Welcome

(May 22, 2015 at 9:21 pm)Captain Monkeyshines Wrote: Sure seems to be full of interesting people. At the very least now instead of shouting at my computer screen when someone says something I agree and/or disagree with, I can post my opinion; which I'm sure you all want to hear.

You can also give out that sexy kudos *hint hint*.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Minimalist said... Opoponax 21 2589 November 13, 2016 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Hey there, hi there, ho there NaughtyButNice 19 3087 February 14, 2016 at 4:56 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Rainbow Being a Noob is hard but here goes... Joods 34 4798 March 19, 2015 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Joods
  An intro from a noob The Valkyrie 28 6220 November 11, 2013 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hello!!! I am glad to see there is an awesome atheist community out there! The Reason Tribune 2 1824 August 31, 2012 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Another noob Mudflappus 20 4700 April 14, 2012 at 12:54 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
Music NOOB :D musicality 15 4903 April 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: BoyWonder
  Noob Nazirong 14 2510 October 16, 2011 at 12:40 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
Tongue Hi i'm a total noob to the Atheist Forums :P adam_1992p 24 7738 July 4, 2011 at 9:36 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  Noob! parrotpirate 11 2687 August 24, 2010 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Nitsuj