Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists in Foxholes
Atheists in Foxholes
Since today is Memorial Day and I am already tired of the god-talk I want to recognize our people's war dead and give them honor by posting this link to the Atheist Veterans Memorial.  On this memorial are the following words:

“In memory of ATHEISTS IN FOXHOLES and the countless FREETHINKERS who have served this country with honor and distinction. 

“Presented by the national Freedom From Religion Foundation with hope that in the future humankind may learn to avoid all war.”

[snip-snip]

The memorial is at Lake Hypatia, Alabama.  I was there one July 4th weekend.  It is a lovely place.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
RE: Atheists in Foxholes
[mod hat on]

Sorry about that, but starting a thread with the sole purpose of promoting another site isn't allowed as per our rules. See Rule 5.
A worthwhile link:

Here it is.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Quote:Timothy McVeigh would be allowed into the VFW, but an atheist wearing the Congressional Medal of Honor wouldn't be.

Ramen.

Theists are such pompous pricks.
(May 25, 2015 at 11:57 am)pocaracas Wrote: [mod hat on]

Sorry about that, but starting a thread with the sole purpose of promoting another site isn't allowed as per our rules. See Rule 5.

Sorry about that, my apologies.  Was not intending to promote a website.
(May 25, 2015 at 12:43 pm)Secular Elf Wrote: Sorry about that, my apologies.  Was not intending to promote a website.

It's okay. It's a rule that we have to apply across the board to take the subjectivity out of keeping out the riff raff who join just to link to their website or another forum.

Once you're here for 30 days and have 30 posts, we consider you invested enough in the community to link elsewhere.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 25, 2015 at 12:49 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(May 25, 2015 at 12:43 pm)Secular Elf Wrote: Sorry about that, my apologies.  Was not intending to promote a website.

It's okay. It's a rule that we have to apply across the board to take the subjectivity out of keeping out the riff raff who join just to link to their website or another forum.

Once you're here for 30 days and have 30 posts, we consider you invested enough in the community to link elsewhere.

Ok, that is cool.  Thanks SteelCurtain.
I don't disagree with the OP's subject. As a Veteran, I can tell you from experience that there are in fact Atheists in the "Foxholes". (And Jedi too, since the Army will let you put just about anything on your dogtags)
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
When I am in a pickle I sometimes pray to a deity I created up for myself. I know that deity is fake (because I created it) but it can make me feel better anyway. It shouldn't, but it does. That should tell you something about prayer.

Why would I pray to any Abrahamic deity? Those deities are disgusting. They are the worst of all the deities. At least in Hinduism/Buddhism/Sikhism I'll reincarnate.

if I were in a foxhole I would pray to both satan and god, to maximize my chances

Or ya know, try to actually get out of the foxhole

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet