Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid, selfish prayer requests
Stupid, selfish prayer requests
I did a search and didn't see a recent topic about anything like this.  I don't use FB often, but have been "forced" to more often lately because my GS troop uses it to communicate.  So I hopped on there today to check our troop page, and my feed has this on it (from a very old friend):

[Image: Capture.PNG]
Huh Angry

How dumb is that?  I sort of understand asking for prayers for a sick relative or something like that, but this?  Like, do they really think god is just hanging around making sure used car salesmen meet their monthly quota's?  REALLY?????

I'm nearly at a loss for words.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Stupid, selfish prayer requests
Always remember the inherent stupidity of theists and you will never be surprised by any shit they pull.
'Please lord, ignore people dying and help this privileged asshole sell six cars, since that looks to be your thing anyway lol AMEN'
[Image: EmqgRtl.jpg]

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(May 30, 2015 at 1:55 pm)Aroura Wrote: ... do they really think god is just hanging around making sure used car salesmen meet their monthly quota's?

Why not? Their god finds wallets!
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
[Image: x6dJA.jpg]
I'm that guy's boss at the dealership and I'm praying he doesn't sell ANY of those cars because I want to fire that loser!
There's an entire evangelical wing called 'Prosperity Gospel'. It's led by people like Joel Osteen. The entire schtick is that you don't have to wait until the afterlife to get your just rewards. God wants you to succeed, and if you believe and pray really, really hard, you will. And if he doesn't help you, that means you're doing it wrong, but a $9.99 prayer scarf, a $19.99 DVD, and pay-by-the-minute calls to a prayer help line will set you on the right path.

It's sickening, but I can't help but applaud the sheer audacity behind it. And I've actually watched some of their paid advertising sermons as a way to better know my enemy. It's always the same:

A generic sermon about how all things are possible through Jesus, with paint-by-numbers "when I was down (in a vague, not convincing way), he lifted me back up" claims and a ton of repetition designed to get the crowd in a lather.

A taped segment, where the pastor in question talks to a member of their flock, who overcame some sort of mundane struggle through Jesus. And I mean mundane, like "I was out of a job, but then got an interview." Gee, you think maybe having a decent resume and doing some legwork helped? Idiots.

The final section, where some smarmy narrator tries to hawk the pastor's crap. Usually without naming the price, which means it's likely embarrassingly expensive for what it is.

It's a twist in Christianity aimed for the ADD, instant gratification crowd. God's awesome because he helped me find my car keys, let me slither out of a speeding ticket, put an extra donut in the box at work, etc. As illogical as faith is, this kind of thing is purely, painfully idiotic. And it's becoming very popular because idiots like to think they're special.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
"Labor is the only prayer that Nature answers: It is the only prayer that deserves an answer—good, honest, noble work."

"The hands that help are better far than lips that pray."
-- Colonel Robert Ingersoll
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Here's the worst part...

If the guy fails to sell the cars:
His boss fires him and it was all part of gawds plan. Gawd is good.
His boss demotes him and it was all part of gawds plan. Gawd is good.
After getting fired he gets a better job and it was all part of gawds plan. Gawd is good.
After getting fired he get a job that's not as good but that he likes better and it was all part of gawds plan. Gawd is good.
He gets shit-canned and black-balled and can't find a job but it was still part of gawds plan and he must be in need of being humbled. Gawd is good.

No way gawd loses if the fucker fails to sell the cars.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 1794 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2763 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2205 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 648 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Damned STUPID Priest yesterday . . . drfuzzy 102 7270 December 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Intercessory prayer is pointless RobbyPants 93 10074 October 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members I_am_not_mafia 132 16145 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  God limits himself to working through prayer phoenix31 14 3562 January 28, 2017 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things Rhondazvous 37 6982 October 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  The problem with prayer. Gawdzilla 286 25790 August 31, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Incognito