Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another peeve I have with fellow liberals.
Another peeve I have with fellow liberals.
Ok, just now on twitter someone thought they could play teacher to advise me why I shouldn't use certain words. This stupidly makes the assumption I have not been around the block, and they also said because I used, in this case the word "bitch" that I could not be a "liberal" and doesn't understand that that really is basically advocating a loyalty oath. In other words, there is only one right way to conduct yourself to be called a liberal.

When liberals say "words hurt" or "can hurt" that is a false argument which is not in dispute. The part these well intended liberals always fail to see, is that words only have the power we give them. They are the ones unwittingly enabling bullies, bigots, sexists and violent oppressors. 

The worst part of this is that they think by censoring offensive words they can create a more peaceful world.  It is a chase for a utopia and that simply cannot happen in a diverse species. We will not always say nice things about each other. There simply is no way to justify putting words and censorship of ANY WORD on par with the truly oppressed. 

It goes with any pejorative, not just the one in this example. This liberal, me, does not need lectures on word choice having been bullied, been called a dork, a spaz and beaten up as a kid, and as an adult and now atheist having that word being equated to Hitler and Stalin, I really don't need lectures on word choice and censorship.
RE: Another peeve I have with fellow liberals.
Wow, ban the word 'bitch' and the Derek and Romaine show on OutQ will be 50% silence.

Fuck, that would suck.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 2, 2015 at 11:21 am)Brian37 Wrote: Ok, just now on twitter someone thought they could play teacher to advise me why I shouldn't use certain words.

Fuck that bitch.
If someone wants to argue that no one likes being called names or having their feelings hurt, I get that. But in the real world it is absurd that you can always be free from getting offended. The only thing one can rightfully argue is case by case and context of situation. I think it is far better to enable people to stand on their own verbally. I think it is certainly reasonable to protect those who are bullied, but do not conflate getting offended to being bullied.
Wow the internet you can and should be able to swear on it. What the fuck is wrong with her telling anyone they shouldn't use the word bitch.
Bitch = female dog.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 2, 2015 at 11:38 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(June 2, 2015 at 11:21 am)Brian37 Wrote: Ok, just now on twitter someone thought they could play teacher to advise me why I shouldn't use certain words.

Fuck that bitch.

Actually it was a guy, which made it even more absurd. If liberals don't like right wing religious men being sexist, seems pretty sexist by this liberal to assume that a woman cant handle an insult and defend herself?
What is it with these word phobias now? Censorship is never a good solution
When it comes to curse words, I think it depends on how you say it. "What the fuck" is fine. "Fuck you" is not. Personal insults should be frowned upon. Instead of debating on whether words can really hurt people or not, let's just try not to make personal attacks. You can argue with someone without calling them a piece of shit or whatever.

Whether they deserve to be called a bitch or not, do you want to be seen as better than them, or just not quite as bad as them?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Quote: because I used, in this case the word "bitch" that I could not be a "liberal"

Fuck that.  Who died and made her queen?

[Image: zebra.jpg]
I have a standard response when someone objects to my use of the word 'bitch': "Okay, you're now a cunt". The immediate increase in body temperature can be picked up by satellite thermal imaging devices.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Find out how much your fellow forum members are getting screwed Catholic_Lady 68 7103 April 13, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Language Pet Peeve BrianSoddingBoru4 55 6501 February 16, 2017 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Fellow Linux nerds: what's your favorite distro? IanHulett 16 2981 August 28, 2016 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Myth, liberals hate the private sector. Brian37 48 4802 January 29, 2016 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Pet peeve Easy Guns 10 1600 June 29, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Quick pet peeve Ben Davis 56 6363 April 14, 2015 at 3:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Where have all the liberals gone? Red Celt 21 4476 July 23, 2013 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Pet Peeve Minimalist 21 4340 November 5, 2012 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Darth
  Pet Peeve: "Hythe" vs. Height Tino 13 3857 October 4, 2012 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Have you ever tried to debate Christians that have no clue? Dean-o 39 8581 June 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: tackattack