Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Past Lives
Past Lives
Has your child ever talked about a past life or exhibited phobias that may be related to a traumatic death ?
RE: Past Lives
Nope.
Past lives..what a load
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
I don't have a child.

And if I had one, and he/she/(or anyone else for that matter) spoke of "past lives" they had, I, naturally, wouldn't believe them.

EvF
The concept of 'past lives' presupposes the existence of a soul that is independent of the physical body. What reason is there to believe that?
(April 13, 2010 at 2:07 pm)Sherry Wrote: Has your child ever talked about a past life or exhibited phobias that may be related to a traumatic death ?

A child may talk about such, but that doesn't make any word of it necessarily true.

Could you further define? It's rather difficult to pinpoint just what you mean by "exhibited phobias that may be related to a traumatic death" :S
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(April 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm)Saerules Wrote:
(April 13, 2010 at 2:07 pm)Sherry Wrote: Has your child ever talked about a past life or exhibited phobias that may be related to a traumatic death ?

A child may talk about such, but that doesn't make any word of it necessarily true.

Could you further define? It's rather difficult to pinpoint just what you mean by "exhibited phobias that may be related to a traumatic death" :S

Like have a phobia of water because they drowned in a past life, or a phobia of black boots and barbed wire because they were in a concentration camp.
When I was a child:

I believed that disembodied white hands roamed the earth moving things when we weren't looking.

I used to think I was born with a tale.

I thought Mickey Mouse lived in Corvallis because City Hall looked vaguely like the magic castle.

Santa made sense because, ya know, he is magic!

The Easter Bunny was real because baskets don't park themselves in front of my room by themselves!

Conclusion - children are prone to coming to weird conclusions and need our guidance to avoid believing specious crap.
(April 13, 2010 at 3:34 pm)Sherry Wrote:
(April 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm)Saerules Wrote:

Like have a phobia of water because they drowned in a past life, or a phobia of black boots and barbed wire because they were in a concentration camp.

There is no such thing as past lives.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Shineylight can you prove your positive assertion? Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Create a new monotheistic religion instead of clinging to the past of Abraham Kaloomi 68 9342 June 18, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Do you think that one day religion will become a thing of the past GoHalos1993 58 10137 December 21, 2015 at 2:27 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  God lives in space...? piterski123 11 2582 May 8, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why should religion have any influence on our lives? MusicLovingAtheist 62 9138 October 12, 2014 at 2:18 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  I'm a witness that Jesus lives! domnavarra 53 21539 June 5, 2012 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Religion: Making the lives ot Schizophrenic people HARDER without 12 4188 September 18, 2011 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower
  Bishops just can't stay out of people's sex lives OnlyNatural 13 3620 January 29, 2011 at 10:08 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko