Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians
Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians
Tim O'Neill, An atheist who has studied the scholarship on the historical Jesus, his Jewish socio-religious context and the origins of Christianity for over 25 years.

http://www.quora.com/Do-credible-histori...r-of-Judea

TheMessiah, please put extremely long posts like this in hide tags, as you'll give half the forum carpal-tunnel in their scroll fingers. The forum coffers aren't deep enough to handle the settlement fees.

Also, while it's fine to offer up a link or a quote to start a discussion, you need to accompany that with your own thoughts to start the discussion. It is against the rules to post a link and require the forum at large to start a discussion for you.
RE: Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians
TL: DR
RE: Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians
(June 5, 2015 at 1:55 pm)Napoléon Wrote: TL: DR

Sorry, but there can't be a TLDR.

It's very in-depth and completely tackles every single Jesus myth argument - the guy who wrote it is a Historian (Atheist) who has studied for 25 years. The detail is quite extrodinary.
Agreed....and all that to get to "I Want To Believe In My Fairy GodBoy."
(June 5, 2015 at 1:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Agreed....and all that to get to "I Want To Believe In My Fairy GodBoy."

The author isn't religious.

I couldn't post the conclusion in the OP because it was too long; but here it is.

The question asked if historians regarded the existence of Jesus to be "historical fact".  The answer is that they do as much as any scholar can do so for the existence of an obscure peasant preacher in the ancient world.  There is as much, if not slightly more, evidence for the existence of Yeshua ben Yusef as there is for other comparable Jewish preachers, prophets and Messianic claimants, even without looking at the gospel material.  Additionally, that material contains elements which only make sense if their stories are about a historical figure.  

The arguments of the Jesus Mythicists, on the other hand, require contortions and suppositions that simply do not stand up to Occam's Razor  and continually rest on positions that are not accepted by the majority of even non-Christian and Jewish scholars.  The proponents of the Jesus Myth hypothesis are almost exclusively amateurs with an ideological axe to grind and their position is and will almost certainly remain on the outer fringe of theories about the origins of Christianity.
RE' aren't taken seriously by most Historians
Maybe splitting up the OP into sections with reveals would make it more accessible. That post is just gigantic!

The code is

[hide]
Text for section 1
[/hide]

And so on through the post.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Pg. 344 - "On the Historicity of Jesus"  Richard Carrier.

Quote:They key line here is 'Christ, the author of this name, was executed by

the procurator Pontius Pilate in the reign of Tiberius'. This is the first-ever
reference to a historical Jesus outside the NT, dating to around 116 CE (very
near our cut-off date for usable evidence). 100
If the passage is authentic. I elsewhere demonstrate (following the arguments
of scholars before me who have argued the same) that this line is
probably an interpolation, and that Tacitus in fact originally described
not the Christians being scapegoated for the fire, but followers of the Jew- ·
ish instigator Chrestus first suppressed under Claudius (as reported by
Suetonius: see §1 1). The line about Christ being executed by Pilate was
added sometime after the mid-fourth century. Before then, no one, Christian
or non-Christian, ever heard of this persecution event under Nero,
or of any reference to Christians in Tacitus; this event is not mentioned
even when second-century Christians told stories of Nero persecuting
Christians!

We have one manuscript of Annales and it uses the word "Chrestianos" and ultraviolet scanning shows that some helpful scribe in the Middle Ages clumsily altered it to Christianos.
Xtians were not above writing bullshit stories for their boy.

Speaking only for myself, I can't take seriously anyone who proposes a "Historical Jesus" because they cannot seem to even agree among themselves what is meant by the term.

Whereas, I know what an MJ is.  He's bullshit.  Just like all the other gods, goddesses and demons that primitive men concocted.
"Even without looking at the Gospel material"?

How can the Gospels be counted as evidence of Jesus? They are the claim.

(June 5, 2015 at 2:22 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: "Even without looking at the Gospel material"?

How can the Gospels be counted as evidence of Jesus? They are the claim.

Time to trot out the Tax Fraud analogy, again.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-31832-po...#pid895894

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1852 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1025 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5354 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3410 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3967 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 278 51369 January 19, 2017 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 0 496 August 31, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 249012 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Aren't Science vs. Creation Debates......rather pointless? maestroanth 30 5598 March 29, 2016 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Dawkins explains why he wont debate William Lane Craig Justtristo 45 11092 June 29, 2015 at 3:00 am
Last Post: robvalue