Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toto, I do think we are in Kansas......
Toto, I do think we are in Kansas......
I have to say in my 14 years of online as an atheist, I am extremely impressed with the growth of the non believers voice. Of course skeptics and atheists have always existed, but when you compare the difference back then in the way we were demonized, not that we aren't now, we are. But compared to back then how small our voice was, and how big it is now, and how theists cant get away with the amount of demonizing now, and to see that voice especially in the heart of the the bible belt, wow, just wow.

Oh and when you read the story feel free to thank the author on your twitter account, it is listed at the bottom of the story.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article24152785.html
RE: Toto, I do think we are in Kansas......
Thank the millennial generation
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

NO, you cant pin progress on one generation, long before you had the likes of Ellen Johnson and Madalyn O'Hair, and prior Carol Sagan, and go back far enough even the likes of Epicurus. You can thank millennials like you can think prior generations for other forms of progress. I do agree that younger generations are not buying the baggage and bigotry of their parents and grandparents.

Still a long way to go, and you still have old money and old religion still trying to cling to the past. But we've come a long way. I can honestly say that back in 01 outside a major city the "a" word spoken say like in the bible belt was rare. But boy just wow.
Well, for one the religious can't burn and impale anybody who disagrees with them anymore, so that's a plus
The internet as a tool is a very good fit with atheism. That's been the great enabler. It's where so many people discovered they were not alone and found an arena where they could be active. It has indeed spread like wildfire since and I'm sure it will continue.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
As always, the comment section is worth a thorough browsing
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(June 16, 2015 at 7:49 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Well, for one the religious can't burn and impale anybody who disagrees with them anymore, so that's a plus

Outside the Middle East anyway...
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

All hail the FSM.

FSM Grin
(June 16, 2015 at 12:03 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote:
(June 16, 2015 at 7:49 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Well, for one the religious can't burn and impale anybody who disagrees with them anymore, so that's a plus

Outside the Middle East anyway...

Yea right now, but what do you think the right wing Christians would do if there was no secular leash to stop them. Makes it all the more important to keep theocracy at bay every day and not assume that it will always be secular.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equal Pay? Not in Kansas Minimalist 42 3891 June 28, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless