Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
posting problems
posting problems
This has happened several time 3/4 times in the last couple of days. I will quote a post, answer it line by line, and when I go to post it only the orginal quote shows up. Nothing I had written gets carried over.
RE: posting problems
I noticed another problem I just posted a response and it said I posted it over an hour ago, when in reality it may have only been 10 mins.
(June 17, 2015 at 3:04 pm)Drich Wrote: This has happened several time 3/4 times in the last couple of days. I will quote a post, answer it line by line, and when I go to post it only the orginal quote shows up. Nothing I had written gets carried over.

Must be the new Quality Control System kicking in.  All Hail the Divine Tiberius!
I've seen a few people whose posts are just a quote of a previous post, with no additional text. Others are embedding their replies into the quotes of the previous person. The WYSIWYG editor doesn't work too well, so I have been using the View Source button from the toolbar (ctrl + shift + s or the button on the far right of the lower toolbar that starts with the font buttons).
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Yes, we seem to be having troubles with the new editor since the last update.

I would recommend using the old source editor using the instructions Tonus gives above, or by forcing it to be the default in User CP->Options.
(June 17, 2015 at 3:04 pm)Drich Wrote: This has happened several time 3/4 times in the last couple of days. I will quote a post, answer it line by line, and when I go to post it only the orginal quote shows up. Nothing I had written gets carried over.

When you say you "answer it line by line", what do you mean? Are you separating a person's post out into multiple quotes, like this:

(June 17, 2015 at 3:04 pm)Drich Wrote: This has happened several time 3/4 times in the last couple of days.
(June 17, 2015 at 3:04 pm)Drich Wrote: I will quote a post, answer it line by line, and when I go to post it only the orginal quote shows up.
(June 17, 2015 at 3:04 pm)Drich Wrote: Nothing I had written gets carried over.

Or something else?

(June 17, 2015 at 3:07 pm)Drich Wrote: I noticed another problem I just posted a response and it said I posted it over an hour ago, when in reality it may have only been 10 mins.

Can you screenshot this the next time it happens, and send me the screenshot along with the time it was posted (i.e. the time your computer says) and your IP address if you have it.

- Tiberius
(June 17, 2015 at 4:47 pm)Tiberius Wrote:

When you say you "answer it line by line", what do you mean? Are you separating a person's post out into multiple quotes, like this:

(June 17, 2015 at 3:04 pm)Drich Wrote: This has happened several time 3/4 times in the last couple of days.
(June 17, 2015 at 3:04 pm)Drich Wrote: I will quote a post, answer it line by line, and when I go to post it only the orginal quote shows up.
(June 17, 2015 at 3:04 pm)Drich Wrote: Nothing I had written gets carried over.

Or something else?
Like the first option.
I will quote a block of text and then give an answer similar to this.

(June 17, 2015 at 3:07 pm)Drich Wrote: I noticed another problem I just posted a response and it said I posted it over an hour ago, when in reality it may have only been 10 mins.

Can you screenshot this the next time it happens, and send me the screenshot along with the time it was posted (i.e. the time your computer says) and your IP address if you have it.

- Tiberius
ok
(June 17, 2015 at 4:13 pm)Tonus Wrote: I've seen a few people whose posts are just a quote of a previous post, with no additional text.  Others are embedding their replies into the quotes of the previous person.  The WYSIWYG editor doesn't work too well, so I have been using the View Source button from the toolbar (ctrl + shift + s or the button on the far right of the lower toolbar that starts with the font buttons).

I use that too, and even so from time to time it will delete my script and just post the originally quoted script.
This problem seems to happen with the longer posts. (one's that take longer to write.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobile Problems Exian 26 8336 September 24, 2015 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Exian