Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Day of Prayer declared unconstitutional!
National Day of Prayer declared unconstitutional!
Associated Press Wrote:Congress established the day in 1952 and in 1988 set the first Thursday in May as the day for presidents to issue proclamations asking Americans to pray. The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a Madison-based group of atheists and agnostics, filed a lawsuit against the federal government in 2008 arguing the day violated the separation of church and state.

Success!!

Associated Press Wrote:A federal judge in Wisconsin ruled the National Day of Prayer unconstitutional Thursday, saying the government cannot call for religious action.

A small victory with huge implications. I feel like dancing!

Here is the article itself at MSNBC.com.
RE: National Day of Prayer declared unconstitutional
A huge victory for Secular Humanists EVERYWHERE!! Big Grin
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
RE: National Day of Prayer declared unconstitutional!
My only problem, and I know that I'm picking nits, is that they refer to the FFRF as a "group of atheists and agnostics". I happen to know that there are plenty of Christians, Muslims, Jews (and so on) that believe in the separation of church and state. It is not an 'atheist issue' and it bugs me that the media portrays it that way.
Not really. It will take more than one judges ruling to do away with national prayer day. Remember this is one judge against a nation of religious fanatics and in some cases zealots.

'But Crabb also says her order does not block any prayer day until after appeals in the case are exhausted.
White House spokesman Matt Lehrich said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that the ruling therefore doesn't prevent Obama from issuing a Day of Prayer proclamation in May and that the president will do so.'
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(April 16, 2010 at 11:34 am)chatpilot Wrote: Not really. It will take more than one judges ruling to do away with national prayer day. Remember this is one judge against a nation of religious fanatics and in some cases zealots.

'But Crabb also says her order does not block any prayer day until after appeals in the case are exhausted.
White House spokesman Matt Lehrich said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that the ruling therefore doesn't prevent Obama from issuing a Day of Prayer proclamation in May and that the president will do so.'

You are quite right, of course. The victory is more symbolic than anything and will serve to fuel the fire beneath the 'Religious Right' and their quest for theocracy. But the attention this sort of ruling (however temporary) receives helps the secular movement by giving us feelings of courage and validation. Every chink in their armor helps to eventually bring them down.
In the fight against religious dominance we are slowly but surely moving forward. We are taking bolder steps towards freeing our societies from the tyrannies created by religious dominance. I would love to see the day when I can pick up my dollar bill and not see in god we trust inscribed on it. The so called separation of church and state here in the U.S. is just on paper but in reality we see churches evil crusted hand with a choke on our government and the majority of our citizens.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Quote:in reality we see churches evil crusted hand with a choke on our government and the majority of our citizens.

Bravo, CP. Well said.
(April 16, 2010 at 11:34 am)Paul the Human Wrote: My only problem, and I know that I'm picking nits, is that they refer to the FFRF as a "group of atheists and agnostics". I happen to know that there are plenty of Christians, Muslims, Jews (and so on) that believe in the separation of church and state. It is not an 'atheist issue' and it bugs me that the media portrays it that way.

Of course, the message of separation of church and state is big for many people of several different religions, but the FFRF itself is geared strongly towards atheists. Americans United is certainly a church-state separation group, and one that doesn't focus on promoting atheism.

Either way, WOO-HOO!
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(April 16, 2010 at 12:22 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(April 16, 2010 at 11:34 am)Paul the Human Wrote: My only problem, and I know that I'm picking nits, is that they refer to the FFRF as a "group of atheists and agnostics". I happen to know that there are plenty of Christians, Muslims, Jews (and so on) that believe in the separation of church and state. It is not an 'atheist issue' and it bugs me that the media portrays it that way.

Of course, the message of separation of church and state is big for many people of several different religions, but the FFRF itself is geared strongly towards atheists. Americans United is certainly a church-state separation group, and one that doesn't focus on promoting atheism.

Either way, WOO-HOO!

I know that the Freedom From Religion Foundation is primarily an atheist organisation. I'm not complaining that the FFRF was misrepresented, simply that pointing out that it was an atheist organisation links the issue with atheism in people's minds. I wish the media would spend more time informing people how the separation of church and state secures everyone's freedom. Like I said... picking nits.

(EDIT: And WOO HOO, indeed!)
Things like this give me hope for the future Big Grin
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the US need a national hymm? brewer 11 558 February 3, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Divinity
Wink Please rise for our new national anthem NuclearEnergy 0 595 June 21, 2017 at 4:40 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  National Service account_inactive 136 9207 February 13, 2017 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Opoponax
  What if Donald Trump craps his pants on national TV? Jehanne 56 9063 October 11, 2016 at 4:15 am
Last Post: GUBU
  It's Unconstitutional for the Police to Kill People Rhondazvous 70 6536 September 29, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Donald Trump has been officially declared a loser. Jehanne 123 8975 August 9, 2016 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trumps formal nomination kicked off with Sikh prayer CapnAwesome 0 495 July 20, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Libertards Want National Parks to Rot Minimalist 5 999 July 6, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Election Night "Prayer" ReptilianPeon 5 1860 April 28, 2015 at 6:02 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Judge declares some of Obama's action on immigration unconstitutional Heywood 35 5126 December 17, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37