Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is god?
What is god?
Often times a familiar question is posed to me and other people. It is a question with no definitive answer, what is god? The most common depiction of god is that of deists, being the belief that "god" is the omnipotent creator of the universe as we know it to exist. To me though "god" or "godliness" is a representation of the good of humanity. For example someone who beats and molests their daughter is evil but the person who has the courage to step into that situation and do something about it, that is god. The person who gives five dollars to a crack addict knowing they would spend it on crack just because ge knows that crack addict could murder or rob someone for that five dollars. In my eyes god is a human representation of the good and compassion in men. I was just extremely bored and deciding to post some thoughts while I had nothing to do. I apologize for any misspellings or gramatical errors as this was done from my phone.
Please post your thoughts on this topic.
RE: What is god?
Okay. I'll play.

Your question instantly reminded me of the words of the first century BC Roman writer, Gaius Sallustius Crispus who observed:

Quote:'Few people prefer liberty, most people would settle for a fair master.'

For most people "god" is an attempt to wish that fair master into existence.

(Of course, their god always agrees with their point of view.)
Thanks that quote really provided some insight to this subject.
Saturday is a slow night. You may get some more takers tomorrow.

Big Grin
(April 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm)Immaculte Wrote: Often times a familiar question is posed to me and other people. It is a question with no definitive answer, what is god? The most common depiction of god is that of deists, being the belief that "god" is the omnipotent creator of the universe as we know it to exist. To me though "god" or "godliness" is a representation of the good of humanity. For example someone who beats and molests their daughter is evil but the person who has the courage to step into that situation and do something about it, that is god. The person who gives five dollars to a crack addict knowing they would spend it on crack just because ge knows that crack addict could murder or rob someone for that five dollars. In my eyes god is a human representation of the good and compassion in men. I was just extremely bored and deciding to post some thoughts while I had nothing to do. I apologize for any misspellings or gramatical errors as this was done from my phone.
Please post your thoughts on this topic.

I'm a little confused. You're and atheist and do not believe in god(s), yet in your post you admit that you define god as "the person who has the courage to step into that situation and do something about it." You clearly believe in this "god". Perhaps you really don't define god this way but you're just trying to start conversation, or you mislabel yourself as an atheist. I realize the last sentence seems like I'm being an asshole, but please read this as me being curious and not trying to be a dick.

edit: I guess I should give my insight on what god is. When I think of god I think of the biblical god, most likely because I was raised in a Christian home and that's what god was defined as. My definition of god is any supreme being that is worshipped by people. I see no reason to have god being defined as people doing good. Why does that have to have a special name and be called god?
Your not coming off as a dick I can understand where your coming from. I could see how my post could be misconstrued. But I was merely stating that god is nothing more than a human expression. And I don't think that discredits me as an atheist. I don't believe in the deity Jesus or any mythical gods. But I do believe in compassion and love. Trust me I'm not a hippy I know that may have came off as super hippyish but I'm notSmile
I really don't know.

I've never come across a definition or explanation which on examination,holds water. Possibly because of my intransigent and unmet demand for evidence.

Here's a thought; There's a mystical tradition within the Abrahamic ,and other faiths which says God cannot be discussed in any meaningful way. I think that assertion becomes true immediately you ascribe any infinite quality to your God(s).

Quote:Ten thousand monks, ten thousand religions (Buddhist saying)
(April 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm)Immaculte Wrote: Often times a familiar question is posed to me and other people. It is a question with no definitive answer, what is god?
God is a mental concept like the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. An abstract idea inferred to as really existing in your imagination that you assign attributes or qualities to. Just like with an imaginary friend, a deity is a concept whose personal experiences with are those you have to simulate. Such simulations are almost always pleasurable to give you comfort and/or support, but more so because you now need to advertise its positive influence upon others. You want this concept to be so much more than just an imaginary friend.

A concept you'll believe wholeheartedly is demonstrably real, despite having no good reason to think that it's real. You will demand others accept your concept based on your own personal testimony that you had a supernatural encounter with such a being, yet obviously cannot convince those without a similar belief such a being is actually real; you realise you maybe justified in believing this idea, but no one else is justified, much to your frustration.

When others refuse to believe your subjectively true concept you will automatically deem them as ignorant, or somehow intellectually inferior, and possibly worse, in that they're somehow "undeserving of life" your "god-concept created". You will usually attempt social control whenever exchanging words with such people, forcing them to submit to your ideals, and convince them through idol threats that non-belief in the concept will spell certain danger for them. For some odd reason people don't take too kindly to your threats, but you ignore this. In seeking to prove its existence you'll make your god-concept so specific that the flaws in your unjustifiable attributes are clearer to identify. Often when shunning non-believers fails, cognitive dissonance will overtake you when confronted by counterarguments that are irresolvable, causing you to have outbursts or rages that normally result in you getting ignored in face-to-face conversations and/or banned from many Internet forums.

God is a concept you'll defend whenever empirical evidence says otherwise and hide it outside reality, beyond scrutiny. You'll make it so vague it'll cease to have any kind of practical relevance. If scientists find out what's "outside" the "known universe" and it's not your abstract idea, you'll no choice but to automatically assign your god-concept outside that plane of reality as well, you'll repeat this process of denial should any scientific breakthrough conflict with your belief.

God is a concept that after a good study of reality you have varying degrees of certainty about, but none of these are absolute anymore, doubt is your beliefs' worst enemy. Questioning your own beliefs and looking for new ways of thinking often results further cognitive dissonance, so in desperation you seek help from professional apologists who provide the constant spin on concepts you lack. After accepting their take on your imaginary concept and made enough excuses for it, you've refilled your bullshit tanks and you're ready to face the cold cruel world of scrutiny again.

Repeat process until you realise the concept is all in your head.
@ the OP My thought is why you use such a word as "god" (usually used to mean deity, or at least something supernatural) to mean something secular such as human goodness. Isn't that very confusing? Also, I never see that definition of "god" that you use come up in any proper dictionary either.

EvF
Great question. I'm really interested in how religion originated. People recognised sacred and profane, and were motivated to foster the sacred which was realised as positive and ordered in opposition to the profane which embodied the opposite effects.

Quote:God actually was actually given a 'proper' name - 'Jehovah' - by a particular group of semites, roughly 4,000 years ago. This name is written in the Bible and the Qur'an. 'Jehovah' is translated from the Hebrew Tetragrammaton, and is represented by four Hebrew letters; JHVH or YHWH.

It is considered by some to be the greatest name of God because it can be considered his 'personal' name, his own self-designation. Unlike other names which are titles, like 'Doctor' or 'Mr', its meaning is, literally, 'he causes to become' or 'powerful or mighty one'. It is pronounced 'yahweh'.
source : http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A472033

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19431 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie