Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a refurbished PC?
Buying a refurbished PC?
I can't decide if buying a new laptop from EBay is a good idea. There are a couple I have my eye on, and buying refurbished is certainly cheaper than buying new. The person whose listings I've been looking at has 100% positive feedback from over 2000 transactions. I have enough money aside for something decent but I'd rather no spend over £500 on a new computer. Has anyone else purchased a computer from Ebay? I am somewhat computer literate and my worry is mainly that if something goes wrong I may not have the same protections.

I'm not much of a video games person, just so you know. I may end up using it mainly for rendering, which is something I want to try out at some point. However, there are a couple of video games I really want to play. It's rare that I find a video game that really want. If you like, I can so the listing via private message.

RE: Buying a refurbished PC?
Where to start.
I have bought my quadcore tablet from China and it's ok. I knew the risks.
I would only buy a pc or notebook from somewhere close. I wouldn't risk it.
It depends what type of rendering you're doing.
I usually upgrade my graphics card every couple of years to keep up with the latest games.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Well, all of the computers I've considered so far are found somewhere in England and come with Dell 1 year warranty. I know someone who has offered to teach me Daz3D for free and it's something I've wanted to try out for a while. Another reason I want to get a new PC is to play a certain game with a friend. I'll spare you the details, but I need at least 2GB of VRAM.

I've had to RMA about 1/5 of the motherboards I've got. So if I bought them refurbished, I'd need to save 20% on average to break even, and then take off maybe another 20% to avoid the stress of watching my money go up in smoke.

That being said, after building maybe a dozen computers in the past few years, almost nothing ever goes wrong; my horror stories are from about 10 years ago, not recent boards. If there's a provider with a good review from thousands of customer experiences, I'd probably save the money and take the chance. That being said, if you take your current hard drive and monitor, you can probably build a good gaming computer for well under $1000: I'm thinking about $800 including a moderately kick-ass 2GB gfx card and an i5 or i7 CPU. So for me, getting a computer of comparable quality for $500 minus warranties would be a coin toss (because it's close to that 40% cutline).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying an Imac Oldandeasilyconfused 11 2512 October 18, 2011 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Jaysyn