Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homosexual Biology
Homosexual Biology
First of all this is not a question to stir the pot of weather homosexuality is a trait you are born with or not.  It is also not a question of whether it is right or wrong.  My question has come about from reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (best book I have read so far).  He talks about evolution and makes a very strong case for things evolving along a slow and steady slope up a mountain.

1. I believe that homosexual people are born homosexual
2. Most homosexuals (I assume) are born to heterosexuals 
3. I understand how recessive genes can becoming dominant in a baby

My question is
1. Is homosexuality a recessive gene?
2. If it is, will homosexuals eventually become extinct because of their lack of ability to reproduce, thus eventually losing the recessive gene?

If I am way off please tell me.  I am a nube to this whole evolution thing.  No offense will be taken
RE: Homosexual Biology
Quote:Researchers looking for a genetic signature of homosexuality have been barking up the wrong tree, according to a trio of researchers in the United States and Sweden. Instead, the scientists posit, epigenetic influences acting on androgen signaling in the brain may underlie sexual orientation. In a paper published last week (December 11) in The Quarterly Review of Biology, they propose a model describing how epigenetic markers that steer sexual development in males could promote homosexual orientation in females, and vice versa. The scientists offer their model to explain both the tendency of homosexuality to run in families, and the fact that so far no “homosexual gene” has been identified.

Can Epigenetics Explain Homosexuality?
Scientists propose a new model for how homosexuality develops, but observers say it will be difficult to test.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I do not think sexuality can be assigned to a black/white single gene or exclusively to them. I can't answer question 1 with a yes or no, so I will refrain from number 2.

Other than that, apo's post is apt in recent developments.
No complex phenomenon can ever be ascribed to a single cause. Sexual orientation is not an exception. It comes from a mix of genetics, environmental factors and other circumstances; for example men who have older brothers are statistically more likely to be gay than those who don't.
I don't know if it is genetic or not, I've never really cared either. I grew up in a household where being gay was considered "good" or "bad", it just "is" so it's not something I investigated that much.

Supposing the premise is true though, and that Homosexuality is a recessive genetic characteristic I don't think it will die out for two reasons...

1) Religion: Haw haw I know right? Because many religions (notable exception to Catholic clergy and Buddhism) really big up the importance of siring as many children as humanly possible many LGBT end up in sham marriages where they do have children. The most religious and devout of these which these gays who have entered heterosexual marriages often are usually have many more children than the norm, particularly Mormons.

2) IVF: Had Gay rights come a few decades earlier this may have not worked but the simple truth is Lesbians can have children very easily, they can even have children with them both as the biological parent if the three-parent IVF method proves safe and is extended. For gay men it is harder but with surrogates not impossible, some gay men even team up with unmarried women to have children.

If it is genetic it's going to be around a good while yet, and curiously enough religious sexual repression is actually helping if it is the case.
(July 5, 2015 at 1:51 pm)polar bear Wrote: First of all this is not a question to stir the pot of weather homosexuality is a trait you are born with or not.  It is also not a question of whether it is right or wrong.  My question has come about from reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (best book I have read so far).  He talks about evolution and makes a very strong case for things evolving along a slow and steady slope up a mountain.

1. I believe that homosexual people are born homosexual
2. Most homosexuals (I assume) are born to heterosexuals 
3. I understand how recessive genes can becoming dominant in a baby

My question is
1. Is homosexuality a recessive gene?
2. If it is, will homosexuals eventually become extinct because of their lack of ability to reproduce, thus eventually losing the recessive gene?

If I am way off please tell me.  I am a nube to this whole evolution thing.  No offense will be taken
1. No. I believe it is genetic but not a recessive gene. Look at monozygotic twin studies.
2. If 1 is no, 2 can't be answered.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
But the thing is, homosexuals are reproducing. Through surrogate mothers for gay males and sperm donorship for females, openly gay people are still having children probably at the same rate closeted homosexuals would have done before being gay was legalised. Again I think this is a misconception people make too much, being gay doesn't mean you are physically incapable of having children, you just can't have them with the same sex.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

If it wasn't for mother nature's variances, none of us would be here.
We need to celebrate this diversity.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I'm of the opinion folks in my gay tribe share DNA with our brethren and cistern and THEY have a reproductive advantage in having gay siblings. And that's how the trait persists.

By the way, I'm aware of the younger brother thing, however, it is not a hard and fast rule, just a tendency. As it turns out, I'm the oldest and my youngest brother is disturbingly hetero.

One of my cousins has an oldest son who is gay, but we're not supposed to know. LOL!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah I have to say I don't know if that younger brothers are more likely to be gay thing is right, I'm the oldest and mine are all straight. My boyfriend is the fourth oldest of ten and they're all straight. Well, that we know of, I personally think number two is a horrible closet case stereotype but ANNNYWAAAAY...Off topic!

I've got a cousin like that too Vorlon, he's a hairdresser, he has lived with the same guy for years, he's a limpwrist who looks like he spray painted his clothes on but HE'S TOTALLY STRAIGHT according to his mother who still thinks nobody but her in the family knows. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Want to Major in Biology ScienceAf 26 3069 August 19, 2016 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Going into Biology marianomanto 9 3347 October 1, 2015 at 6:21 am
Last Post: marianomanto
  I saw children doing synthetic biology on the television... ReptilianPeon 9 1874 August 31, 2015 at 1:03 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Evolutionary biology adopting religious traits tantric 55 10313 December 29, 2014 at 7:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why are we so ignorant about biology that quacks gain popularity? Brakeman 20 4318 November 30, 2013 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Biology inspired apparel? roxanne26 3 2752 September 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Quantum biology downbeatplumb 0 1207 October 1, 2011 at 7:43 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Evolutionary Biology Darwin Program 5thHorseman 1 1761 June 23, 2011 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious