Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Supernatural Horror Movies Scare You?
Do Supernatural Horror Movies Scare You?
I recently observed that supernatural/psychological horror movies no longer have any impact on me as a result of the rational view of the world that I've developed with no belief in the supernatural. I even gave The Exorcist a try the other day, hearing it was widely viewed as the scariest horror movie ever made, yet because the whole story was centred around the idea of demonic possession, I didn't find it at all scary since I don't believe in that. Conversely, I would have been very frightened by such movies when I was younger and more superstitious.

I'm curious as to whether other atheists are the same or would you still be a little uncomfortable with movies like these?
"The chances of each of us coming into existence are infinitesimally small, and even though we shall all die some day, we should count ourselves fantastically lucky to get our decades in the sun." - Richard Dawkins

RE: Do Supernatural Horror Movies Scare You?
Depends on the movie.

Some of the good, old school horror movies are still great and there's nothing I like better than curling up on the couch on a dark, rainy night watching a good horror film. And, for me, I know it's good if I turn off the lights when I go to bed and then run up the dark hallway to my bedroom.

As for some of the movies people call horror movies, "Saw", "Nightmare on Elm Street", "Friday the 13th" and the like, I refer to them as splatter films, not horror and I really don't like them.

And then we get to movies like "Paranormal Activity". *Yawn* Wake me when it's over.
Dying to live, living to die.
What would be an example of a supernatural one you found scary, out of interest? I would be curious to try one!
"The chances of each of us coming into existence are infinitesimally small, and even though we shall all die some day, we should count ourselves fantastically lucky to get our decades in the sun." - Richard Dawkins

It is certainly easier to be frightened when one believes in the boogyman than when one does not.

If you want to watch something frightening, you could try Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom.  It is not supernatural at all.

For maximum effect, try to learn as little about the film as possible before seeing it.  The more you know, the more braced you are for it.

And yes, I have noticed that since I have grown up and no longer believe in religious twaddle, fewer things are frightening.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

It's hard for me to enjoy fiction unless it's very well-written.

I hate horror movies in general. Jump scares are not fun for me, and I avoid them when possible.

But yeah, I tend to roll my eyes at the premises of most of these movies. Like that new one, The Gallows? Looks really dumb.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
I enjoyed "Atticus".
I leave my brains at the door when viewing most films so I can embelish the moment.
It doesn't even have to be scary movies though.
All superhero movies, Star Wars, etc, are all bulldust as well, but I love 'em to death.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Event Horizon

/thread
(July 10, 2015 at 12:22 am)bennyboy Wrote: Event Horizon

/thread

That's a very underrated sci-fi/horror flick.

There aren't very many horror flicks that actually freak me out. "The Ring" freaked me right the fuck out.
Most horror movies suck balls.  However, this commercial was a funny parody...at least the first 50 times I saw it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Supernatural and Atheism Eclectic 322 25362 January 3, 2023 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Supernatural Evidence? Soldat Du Christ 266 27002 November 13, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Can't prove the supernatural God maestroanth 235 21498 June 4, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: SilverFrog
  Natural explanations to former supernatural ideas Won2blv 12 3583 May 17, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheists and Horror Films KentuckySkeptic224 42 4274 May 16, 2015 at 1:49 am
Last Post: dyresand
  does death scare you and why? dyresand 94 11638 November 2, 2014 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Many religious movies being made Manowar 1 1283 April 7, 2014 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Ever hear a christian say something so stupid.(Horror stories here) Lemonvariable72 83 22786 September 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  A non supernatural explanation for 'god' Puddleglum 10 4808 September 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Tino
  Do Atheists Believe in the Supernatural? Jazzykatt 32 16155 November 14, 2010 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Captain Scarlet