Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:59 pm

Poll: Life as it we know it will likely come to a destructive end.
This poll is closed.
Yes
35.71%
5 35.71%
No
50.00%
7 50.00%
I sure hope so.
14.29%
2 14.29%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye Bye Society?
Exclamation 
Bye Bye Society?
It's everywhere in the entertainment, and even the news media -- the world is winding down quickly and headed for a dismal apocalypse.  Well, at least that's what 22% of Americans felt as of 2012.  It's believed that that percentage has grown.  I thought it perhaps interesting to get a general conspectus about the "end of the world" from those who don't subscribe to any religion.
I didn't post this for a religious debate.  Once in a while its just nice to have a thread that isn't chocked full of ridiculous ancient superstitions.  

So, some general thoughts/questions of mine:

Will any (or all) of the world's societies collapse in the foreseeable future?

Are we in danger of a cataclysmic reset due to:
Climate change?
War?
Viral outbreak?
Economic collapse?

Are you a doomsday prepper on any level?  (ie. you stockpile food/weapons/amo, etc)

What, if anything, do you feel would/could be the most likely catalyst for ushering in the "end of the world"?

Judgement free zone here.  I'm just curious what the average non-believer from around the globe feels about the possibility of an apocalypse.
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Bye Bye Society?
The world will muddle along - much as it always has - and the doomsday shits will be eternally disappointed when their hero on the white horse fails to show up.
I actually do think it highly likely that our society as we currently know it will collapse.  Not for any ridiculous religious reason, but because humans are basically selfish, ignorant fucktards still.

The climate alone could theoretically lead to major shortages in resources, which can lead to all out war, etc.

Fights over resources - most likely water - will be regionalized.  Sub-Saharan Africa has been drying up for millennia.  They're still around.  The most interesting place for that to happen will be India/Pakistan.
(July 10, 2015 at 12:47 am)Minimalist Wrote: Fights over resources - most likely water - will be regionalized.  Sub-Saharan Africa has been drying up for millennia.  They're still around.  The most interesting place for that to happen will be India/Pakistan.

Where are you on the California water situation?  
Time to worry? Time to panic?  Who's water will they steal if they do indeed run out?

I'm in Arizona not California.  There are no water restrictions here as  yet.  I imagine eventually we'll get there.
Societies will be slowed down by problems here and there but wiped out? No way.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Our fucktard of a govt here in Au has built a billion dollar desal a few years ago.
Guess what, it hasn't been needed as yet!
Free to good home!

Min, being a historian, when/if do you think there'll be another world war?
I though the world was just about ready for a resetting?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 10, 2015 at 12:49 am)Cinjin Wrote:
(July 10, 2015 at 12:47 am)Minimalist Wrote: Fights over resources - most likely water - will be regionalized.  Sub-Saharan Africa has been drying up for millennia.  They're still around.  The most interesting place for that to happen will be India/Pakistan.

Where are you on the California water situation?  
Time to worry? Time to panic?  Who's water will they steal if they do indeed run out?

Don't tell Chthuuluululh (sp?), but we've been eyeing Oregon's water.  Might have to expand California just a bit.
I think California is is looking at desalination as part of a solution. I don't think Arizona will invade California to reclaim the water rights for the Colorado River.

To answer your OP, I don't think the world is headed for apocalypse right away. Population is definitely a concern. I think the one other concern is pandemic. With larger human populations, you have larger microbial reservoirs, meaning that different microbes have larger environments which present different pressures -- and pressure is what drives mutations. Couple that with air travel and resistant strains, and you've got a dangerous situation.