Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
8 atheist leaders actually worth listening to

Forget Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins. The new atheists don't have the
final word on godlessness

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/18/8_atheis...o_partner/

1. Rebecca Hensler. Hensler founded Grief Beyond Belief

2. Debbie Goddard. Goddard is director of the campus and community
outreach department at Center for Inquiry

3. August E. Brunsman IV. Brunsman is Executive Director of the
Secular Student Alliance,

4. Muhammad Syed. Syed is President of Ex-Muslims of North
America

5. Sarah Morehead. Morehead is Executive Director of Recovering From
Religion

6. Mandisa Thomas. Thomas is founder and president of Black
Nonbelievers Inc.

7. Noelle George. George is the newly appointed Executive Director of
Foundation Beyond Belief,

8. Amanda Metskas. Metskas is Executive Director of Camp Quest

And more importantly, I’m writing this to alert any atheists, and
anyone questioning their religion, who might be reading this: There’s
a whole lot more to organized atheism than Dawkins and Harris. If
you’ve been interested in the burgeoning atheist movement — please
know that it’s a large, diverse, rapidly growing movement, with a huge
variety of ideas, goals, demographics, values, strategies, and vibes.

Interesting article Does anyone have anyone to add to this list? That or comment on those in it?
RE: 8 atheist leaders actually worth listening to
What is "organized atheism" but a slippery slope toward movements like A+?

All atheists have in common is their lack of belief in deities.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Leaders?
You know, organizing atheists is like herding cats and all that......

Sure, they're cool people who did some awesome things, but I wouldn't go as far as calling them leaders, especially not of a group whose only common ground is often not following the herd.
(July 10, 2015 at 6:00 pm)MattB Wrote: Forget Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins. The new atheists don't have the
final word on godlessness

No shit.
The following scriptures are relevant:

Psalms 1:1 "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful".

i.e. to follow these "leaders" is to forgo the blessing of the Lord.

Jude 1: 17-19 "But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit."

i.e. only those who wish to justify their own wickedness would follow these "leaders"
Ok, now you're just preaching. What do you think you're going to accomplish by that?

Also, did you memorize the whole bible or do you get those from fortune cookies? -_-
(July 10, 2015 at 6:26 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: The following scriptures are relevant:

Psalms 1:1 "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful".

Jude 1: 17-19 "But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit."

i.e. only those who wish to justify their own wickedness would follow these "leaders"

No, the above words are trolling.

"The counsel of the man that walketh not in the delusion that he speaks for god, nor standeth in the way of skepticism, nor sittith in the seat of the sanctimonious, nor drink of the fount of fallacy is a rationalist, and should be listened to and considered, but not blindly followed.  And rememberth that when people warn thou that they might be mocked, that there might be reason to mock them.  Rather than follow them or any other, thou shouldst use the brain that evolution hast equipped thou with and follow no man blindly"

Jenny A
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Oops, Chad's back.

Glad you didn't delete your account? Rolleyes
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
He has to have somewhere to put the seat of the sanctimonious.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(July 10, 2015 at 6:26 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: The following scriptures are relevant:

Ah yes, nothing worse than an ex-flouncer. Flouncing is bad enough, but to then return to continue to darken our towels?!? Flounce and get thee behind me devil!

Ignominy is thy name!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is atheism worth living for? MarcusA 74 3756 September 3, 2023 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Mankind is actually building "Gods" Face2face 6 2147 December 11, 2017 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Would it be worth it? Astonished 53 9105 July 30, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5442 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheists have no morals? Islam & Christianity are actually crazy. bussta33 8 2737 January 16, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I am actually in tears of laughter Fendon 5 1680 January 30, 2015 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Does complexity actually imply the lack of a creator? JaceDeanLove 14 4529 November 15, 2014 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  What atheism actually is robvalue 20 3292 November 11, 2014 at 4:49 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is it just not worth it sometimes? FatAndFaithless 15 2328 June 26, 2014 at 2:51 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  My adventures: Worth Christian Forum BlackSwordsman 53 7574 June 18, 2014 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: Jackalope