Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member guide
New member guide
Hi chaps and chappettes

I thought it might be useful for me to write a general guide for new members, as the same kind of questions come up frequently. I'm not suggesting it be anything official, but I thought I could paste it into spoiler tags in new member's introduction threads for them to read should they so wish.

Please let me know if you think this is a good idea, and if you have any suggestions/alterations:

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: New member guide
We actually have a few threads in the rules section with some tips for newbs, but it appears nobody ever bothers to read them.
Quite, it's why I have to repeatedly contact people to tell them to read my signature.

Good work though, rob ^_^
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Thanks Smile

Yeah, I see there are very good guides, but as you say in reality people aren't reading them. I thought that if I stuck this in their introduction post, it's more likely these points will be acknowledged.

It's not meant to replace or improve upon the official ones, just to be a quickstart guide.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Well done Rob!
hehe...
you know what I meant!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
You actually expect me to read the rules? PREPOSTEROUS
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(July 13, 2015 at 6:15 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: You actually expect me to read the rules? PREPOSTEROUS

It's ok. Just keep going until a hammer falls on you ^_^
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I've always gone by the motto, don't be a dick and post what you like. Only ever been banned here once so others may decide for themselves how wise that policy may be. (The real question is, does one always know when their behavior goes dickish?)
(July 13, 2015 at 12:43 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote:
(July 13, 2015 at 6:15 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: You actually expect me to read the rules? PREPOSTEROUS

It's ok. Just keep going until a hammer falls on you ^_^

Aww why can't it be an anvil or a cupcake or you?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Might caution newcomers and old timers alike that if they see a word in any of my posts they are not familiar with, do NOT google it under any circumstances.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member photos thread closed. Ravenshire 15 1999 November 18, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Curious about a missing member. Ravenshire 13 2427 May 27, 2018 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How about a "Member Announcement" area? Foxaèr 19 2126 November 1, 2017 at 10:41 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  I want to post about a family member anonymously hogwash 24 4014 August 7, 2015 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Odd PM from New Member Pyrrho 4 1522 June 27, 2015 at 11:30 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Can we only give one +1 rating to each member? KevinM1 20 3136 February 13, 2015 at 6:10 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Proposed Award - New Member of the Month Jackalope 7 3908 January 2, 2012 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A guide to successful trolling fr0d0 15 5894 August 7, 2011 at 2:40 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Forum Netiquette Guide Discussion Shell B 4 1912 April 22, 2010 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  BB Code Guide discussion fr0d0 23 9634 December 30, 2009 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Ashes1995