Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justice - American Style
Justice - American Style
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/ex-u-s-r...x-evasion/

Quote:Former U.S. Representative Michael Grimm was sentenced to eight months in prison for felony tax evasion on Friday in Brooklyn federal court.

Quote:As part of his plea, Grimm signed a statement of facts that contained additional admissions, including that he concealed more than $900,000 in gross receipts from 2007 to 2010 and committed perjury during a 2013 deposition.

8 months.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf...ive_y.html

Quote:AKRON, Ohio — A Macedonia man sobbed as he apologized for threatening to kill a restaurant employee as he robbed the store of $105.

Ryan Maholm, 22, will spend the next four years and 11 months in prison after pleading guilty to robbery and an unrelated vandalism charge.

Almost 5 years

And let's not forget that Grimm was re-elected overwhelmingly by those allegedly law-and-order republicunt shits.
RE: Justice - American Style
Ryan was a petty thief, and so not impressive, a nuisance.  Mike was a very accomplished thief, and therefore had an electable skill, a reason to admire the man.....?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 18, 2015 at 11:42 am)Rhythm Wrote: Ryan was a petty thief, and so not impressive, a nuisance.  Mike was a very accomplished thief, and therefore had an electable skill, a reason to admire the man.....?

I don't know if strongarm robbery is equal to petty thievery, but yeah the point is well-taken.

8 months for that kind of tax evasion is bullshit for sure.

Whattya wanna bet the good congressman does his time in a Federal country club, and Mr. Maholm does his time in pound-me-in-the-ass prison?
I think our so-called justice system is the aspect of the US that is the most archaic and in need of complete overhaul. That may be true of humanity as a whole, also.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(July 18, 2015 at 11:42 am)Rhythm Wrote: Ryan was a petty thief, and so not impressive, a nuisance.  Mike was a very accomplished thief, and therefore had an electable skill, a reason to admire the man.....?

I'm always amazed that a Ferengi culture like yours doesn't worship Al Capone, Lucky Luciano or Dutch Schultz. They were businessmen after all. And very successful ones at that.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Ever watch an American movie?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Those guys are American heroes abaris!

(bet he doesn't actually do that time, either, Cthulu. 8 months is a small sentence to whittle down. Out in 6 weeks, tops, whaddaya think?)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
White collar crime pays in the USA. Always has, probably always will. You can take my money, just not with a threat!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 18, 2015 at 1:51 pm)Rhythm Wrote: (bet he doesn't actually do that time, either, Cthulu.  8 months is a small sentence to whittle down.  Out in 6 weeks, tops, whaddaya think?)

Two months, tops.

Robbery dude is going to do eighteen months, minimum.
(July 18, 2015 at 2:02 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: White collar crime pays in the USA. Always has, probably always will. You can take my money, just not with a threat!

Oh, I'm sure, a thread is perfectly OK as long as it's made on the golf course and not at something as vulgar as a shop holdup.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Indian-American Nikki Haley: Plan to Counter the China Threat. Nishant Xavier 46 2687 August 6, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  George Carlin American Dream vannymanny 6 530 June 29, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  [Serious] American Congress member speaks about Israeli terrorism against Palestinians WinterHold 5 378 May 14, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Sassy Justice Foxaèr 0 157 October 28, 2020 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  There is no justice...... RBG RIP! Brian37 96 5450 September 29, 2020 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  US and Taliban sign deal to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan WinterHold 50 3527 March 8, 2020 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  why are many american obsessed over maintainign the illusion of choice in healthcare? Cepheus Ace 8 1551 October 3, 2019 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  American Dies on Mt Everest onlinebiker 44 3918 May 29, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  More obstruction of justice from Donald Trump. Jehanne 6 949 September 11, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  American workers' wages stagnant, even in a great economy: why? Aegon 74 6865 August 15, 2018 at 4:29 am
Last Post: GUBU