Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Are Stardust
We Are Stardust
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/199...080416.htm

After reading this article I'm curious as to why there are any alive who claim to be "knowledgeable" yet simultaneously accept and hold Creationism, a religious belief, in the same regard as scientific fact. They think that life, the Earth and formation of the solar system are all the creation of some supernatural agency they call "god".

It puts everything into perspective when you actually look at reality and consider that everything you are, the atoms, the very matter you're made of, were all formed inside a humongous star that went supernova long ago. We are star matter or the dust from a dead star that suffered a violent end. From its remains a proto-star then formed into Sol (our sun) and the dust around that formed into the planets of the solar system.

If religions were remotely creditable then surely Christians, Muslims, Buddhists and so on, would all be worshipping the stars above that made us?

As an atheist I am now finding honest enquiry about our universe absolutely fascinating, the rewards to reap are like the cosmos itself, vast. What's your opinion on being, like the Sun (Sol), the "offspring" of a giant parent sun?

[Image: 090729-betelgeuse-02_widec.jpg]

Does it make you feel all 'warm' inside? ;P
RE: We Are Stardust
And it took you how many years to realise this??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 23, 2010 at 5:47 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: And it took you how many years to realise this??
Perhaps I should've explained. ^^ I learned this trivia ages ago from my physics teacher. It was information buried away and neglected for the most part of my adolescent life, since I was force-fed to believe the events of the Biblical Genesis were fact.
(April 23, 2010 at 5:52 am)Welsh cake Wrote:
(April 23, 2010 at 5:47 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: And it took you how many years to realise this??
Perhaps I should've explained. ^^ I learned this trivia ages ago from my physics teacher. It was information buried away and neglected for the most part of my adolescent life, since I was force-fed to believe the events of the Biblical Genesis were fact.

And now

You are grown and have left your fathers house and have ideas that are your own.

Welcome to the world Welshcake it really IS an interesting place!Tiger
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
that's one of the major topics i try explaining to creationists: the origins of the heavier elements. without the fusion within stars, or during a supernova, the elements that we are made up of wouldn't exist (e.g. Carbon, Oxygen, Nitrogen). I'm not for going all 'Aztec' or 'Mayan' and start worshiping the Sun but I definitely think stars should be appreciated for more than just something pretty to look at during the night. Creationists would rather have us believe the stars are just decoration created by their god.
Just remember that if not for one nearby star the biosphere wouldn't even exist.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
That's the thing with the idea of creationism. Almost every religion/belief system has creation in one form or another within their mythology. But throughout the ages, whilst for millenia merely a sad reminder of their absence of understanding, mankind neglected the simple fact that we are built from the same atoms, the same electrons and protons, the same elements and minerals that everything in the universe consists of. It isn't magical fairydust in our genes, it's complex carbons and nucleic acids that exist elsewhere, albeit in simpler forms. They have found clouds of methane gas in the universe, a cloud of pure alcohol on the other side of the galaxy. Iron ore pummels this planet and others in the solar system from the far reaches of space. The things that exist here exist everywhere. The universe itself envelopes the endless cycle of creation and destruction. When one star dies, another emerges from it's ash, and that solar system begins again. It's magical, almost spiritual....wait.....damn.
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
And the Cretinists(sorry, Creationists) would have you believe that this whole stunning universe,

countless billions of light years in diameter was only made 6000 years ago.

ROFLOL
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.