Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism
Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism
Religion is like fairy tales for adults in many ways. The Christ figure, and many other central figures of other religions, are like symbols of the classic definition of a hero that satisfies the emotional desire to be a hero or to have one. Something people inherit from the time they are children, whether the hero is real or not. 

Religions and their stories to go with them are like fairy tales for adults invented to help them cope with everyday life.  But I would argue that a regular fairy tale, with magic and dragons and damsels, Prince Charming, and Fairy Godmothers, as no different. Every story has a moral, and the characters represent the kind of people that we come across in daily life. The figure of Jesus Christ is a mythical hero type Christians want to strive to be like. 

If the differences between what is real and what is make-believe were better taught early on, religion would easier be dismissed for better things to look to. Just reading into all the varying but similar myths and fairy tales from all other cultures and history at an early age.

I am a huge fan of fantasy and mythology. And it must be my atheism that helps me to appreciate it for just what it is and understand it so well.
RE: Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism
The problem is that theists cannot discern a difference. What is in reality just mythology they view ignorantly as factual.

Any amount of reason merely makes them cling more tightly to their delusions.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote:The figure of Jesus Christ is a mythical hero type Christians want to strive to be like. 

If they bother to read the bible, they'll soon change their mind!
And we won't even start on his father! Like father, like son!  hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 22, 2015 at 12:46 am)ignoramus Wrote:
Quote:The figure of Jesus Christ is a mythical hero type Christians want to strive to be like. 

If they bother to read the bible, they'll soon change their mind!
And we won't even start on his father! Like father, like son!  hehe

Precisely! I forgot to mention that.
Cynthia? Do you know what a "chook" is before you came to this forum?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I agree. I'd go further, it is fairy tales for adults.

Sadly they are not even nice ones, they are generally hideous. And they are way more stupid than childrens' fairy tales. It's not even close.

For sure, as atheists we can view it objectively for what it actually is. We may be able to learn a lot from it, in different ways. But we know that when we close the book, the characters stay on the pages.

The fact that anyone believes any of it is real (beyond a few historical references) smacks me like a hammer in the face every single day.

I don't have a problem with the idea that there is very likely other stuff going on, and stuff that has gone on, which we aren't aware of. It's when people claim to have very specific details about it that they can't possibly know that it becomes laughable. It's OK to say "We don't know yet". It's not an invitation to make up answers.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Actually jesus is something of a pussy.  This is what these xtian shits want.

[Image: 01-rightwing-jesus.jpg]
People think Jesus is a good role model. He's really not. They have a cherry picked version in their mind based on their favourite verses. I doubt many Christians have read even the whole NT through. If they have, they must mentally edit out a whole lot of it. And that's not counting some entire works that got removed from canon because they were inconvenient.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The creator of the universe in the flesh gets mad at fig tree for beig a fig tree.

If you read the above and still don't see a problem with the story, I can't help you.
It's odd though, the biblical god was an anti-hero as he had genocidal rages and questionable ethics, yet people still maintain his goodness.

It would be the same as Superman destroying Metropolis, then saying he was a good guy, why would anyone believe it?
Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4923 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2717 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11371 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 1918 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4195 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24727 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4600 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5951 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8543 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27083 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13