Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christopher Columbus was awful (but this other guy wasn't)
Christopher Columbus was awful (but this other guy wasn't)
I read this article some time ago about Christopher Columbus that debunks all the popular myths about him being a hero and why the myths came into being also. And Columbus Day is not an American tradition, but a "recent mistake." It also talks about a much better person not well known about who the writer of the article believes should have received the recognition of a hero instead of Columbus.

Christopher Columbus Was Awful (But this other guy was not)
RE: Christopher Columbus was awful (but this other guy wasn't)
Interesting article.
I just wish they did a Leif Erickson day. Unlike Columbus, he actually landed on the continent (and also realised that he actually discovered a new land; it should be noted that something the article neglects to mention is that, up to his dying day, Columbus insisted the land he went to was India, even after other explorers proved him wrong), and, for all the Vikings' obsession with conflict, didn't actually try to commit genocide on the natives. There were skirmishes, of course, but nothing on the scale Columbus did.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 22, 2015 at 10:45 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I just wish they did a Leif Erickson day. Unlike Columbus, he actually landed on the continent (and also realised that he actually discovered a new land; it should be noted that something the article neglects to mention is that, up to his dying day, Columbus insisted the land he went to was India, even after other explorers proved him wrong), and, for all the Vikings' obsession with conflict, didn't actually try to commit genocide on the natives. There were skirmishes, of course, but nothing on the scale Columbus did.

A very good point also! I wish there was a day for Leif Erickson also. I'd always had respect for him more than Columbus since I learned about him.
My History Teacher in High School always referred to Columbus as "Crackhead Columbus." He got into trouble for it. I'm glad I don't teach world history, because I'd hate to have to teach about him and censor myself.

Leif Erikson does have his own day, so you know. It's October 9th this year.
So...history has good guys AND bad guys?

Who'da thunk it?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Columbus was one of the so called explorers of the time. His original intent was to find a new route to India and it's trading facilities by sailing west. So, yes, they new that the world was round.Setting foot on the American continent, was nothing but an accident. The spanish crown would have never financed an expedition into the blue. Even more so, since the so called reconquista just came to a close.

Also, he was a saint compared to the shits that came after him. The so called conquistadores who utterly destroyed the native cultures within a short 40 years.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 30, 2015 at 1:19 pm)abaris Wrote: Columbus was one of the so called explorers of the time. His original intent was to find a new route to India and it's trading facilities by sailing west. So, yes, they new that the world was round.Setting foot on the American continent, was nothing but an accident. The spanish crown would have never financed an expedition into the blue. Even more so, since the so called reconquista just came to a close.

Also, he was a saint compared to the shits that came after him. The so called conquistadores who utterly destroyed the native cultures within a short 40 years.
Being good Catholics the Spanish just used the First Commandment as their guiding principle , Exodus 34:10-16.  Of course it wasn't written as such at that time but they were forward thinkers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOBhf8f7cXM

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Erickson introduced the native North Americans he encountered to lactose intolerance.

(this bizarro historical nugget has been brought to you by Pfangles)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The French Christopher Hitchens. Brian37 2 959 April 15, 2015 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist