Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Yo, I'm Cian. I'm twenty five and from the UK. I was an active practicing Catholic for most of my life up until around almost two years ago, coming from a very big conservative traditionalist Catholic family. I don't think I'm an atheist, I think I'm probably somewhere between liberal christian, deist and agnostic depending on the day and I've joined hoping to meet some more people who aren't so mad about religion. The UK is more or less secular these days but just where I'm from and still live there aren't many non-believers, there's a lot of Eastern European Catholics and Muslims so it would be good to meet more people who aren't in one of those clubs.

Why did I leave the Catholic Church? It was slowly driving me mad. I've often been accused by Catholics of leaving because I'm gay but that wasn't the case, at the time I was willing to stay alone even though I was pissed off about it. The only person I told was a priest in the confessional who offered to refer me to a group called Courage, which is basically an Ex-Gay organization but otherwise advised me to keep quiet about it and that it was probably just a phase. I know it sounds mad to non believers but traditionalist catholics are like the Islamic State of Catholicism, where a lot of Catholics these days are pretty liberal my lot were still living in the early 18th century. If you were in a room alone with a female, any female you were going to hell, in my case that extended to other men too. If you lost concentration during mass you were going to hell. If you looked at "anti-Catholic" books like the God Delusion or a book about the reformation you were going to hell, if you watched anything other than ETWN on TV you were going to hell too. Every day was like a tightrope performance, and the slightest failure would be pounced upon. There was one time as a kid I was forced to go to confession by my Dad for not breaking off talking to one of my mates because his Dad who wasn't a Catholic remarried after a divorce.

It was nightmarish but I accepted it all as truth. A few years ago at my parents shop I got talking to one of the staff they'd hired who revealed quietly he didn't believe either and I tried to persuade him it was all true. It's funny really, he told them he was a seminarian so they assumed he was a Catholic one but he really was an atheist who only went because he had a scholarship to do it, wasn't even a Catholic seminary either. The way the shop was run it left me and him alone in it a lot and I'd ask what he thought about lots of arguments I'd been taught at home being homeschooled , my parents didn't trust the "evil death culture liberal schools" and over a few months he took them all apart.

Realizing the bullshit my lot had signed up to was just that was a release. I've broken ties with most of them seeing as they weren't so happy with me leaving the faith, even less finding out I was gay but things are going pretty well now. I now live with the guy who deconverted me, come September I'm about to start a distance learning part time degree in Religious Studies and things are going pretty well.

Think that's enough about me, hopefully I'll get to know some of you guys better too.
RE: Hello
Hello and welcome, Herr Ratzinger :-)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome to his holiness!

What a story. Hope you stick around and join in!

The Bosnian Spy will be around with some welcome waffles. If he approves of you there won't be arsenic in them.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
It's pretty hard to get over that grasp religion has on you, so kudos on breaking free. We can help you with any lingering questions in your mind. You have to be a bit patient though. We can also help chill and relax and simply have fun without worrying about religion at all.

Welcome. May you have a long and pleasant stay.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Cheers for the welcome guys Smile
Hi, it's very nice to meet you.
Hi Cian and welcome to AF! Hi

Here come the welcome waffles!! c:
[Image: recipe_detail_daf4c1d4d1342463fe0e71cefa207797.jpg]

No arsenic this time, pinky promise Angel
Welcome Cian!

I've seen a couple conservative Catholics... But I'll keep my mouth shut, I don't want to swear in your welcome thread Tongue

Have a nice stay!
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Welcome. Hope you enjoy the journey.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 29, 2015 at 9:26 am)Alex K Wrote: Hello and welcome, Herr Ratzinger :-)

[Image: 50518604panzerpope.jpg]

Willkommen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5978 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3646 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates