Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advance to help Humanity
Advance to help Humanity
What one technological, science, social, political........ advance would you like to have happen that would benefit humanity. For instance cost effective desalinization, safer nuclear power generation, agricultural breakthrough. Feel free to give more than one. Just wondering.

Mods, change if I selected the wrong category.

Thanks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Advance to help Humanity
On a side note - is this your extended family in your new avatar?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 6, 2015 at 10:33 am)abaris Wrote: On a side note - is this your extended family in your new avatar?
Yep, the larger male (on the right) is ours. The smaller female was a rescue/foster. She had heart worm, external ear infections that made her deaf and had been shot. About a year later she recovered (even got some hearing back) and we adopted her out. Have a new female and are in the puppy process.
(August 6, 2015 at 11:21 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Yep, the larger male (on the right) is ours. The smaller female was a rescue/foster. She had heart worm, external ear infections that made her deaf and had been shot. About a year later she recovered (even got some hearing back) and we adopted her out. Have a new female and are in the puppy process.

Not to derail this thread entirely, but I once had a former lab dog. She was deaf and - quite understandably - had big trust issues.
(August 6, 2015 at 11:25 am)abaris Wrote:
(August 6, 2015 at 11:21 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Yep, the larger male (on the right) is ours. The smaller female was a rescue/foster. She had heart worm, external ear infections that made her deaf and had been shot. About a year later she recovered (even got some hearing back) and we adopted her out. Have a new female and are in the puppy process.

Not to derail this thread entirely, but I once had a former lab dog. She was deaf and - quite understandably - had big trust issues.
I don't care about derail, don't think there will be many responses anyway. Did you know she was deaf when you got her or did it come on as she grew with you? If deaf when you got her, THANK YOU! Not many people are willing to take on a disabled animal.
Clean energy.

(August 6, 2015 at 11:33 am)mh.brewer Wrote: If deaf when you got her, THANK YOU! Not many people are willing to take on a disabled animal.

I'm not sure actually. We discovered it later on, but it certainly wouldn't have played any role when getting her from the shelter.
(August 6, 2015 at 11:45 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: Clean energy.

I was going to go for unlimited easily produced energy.

I want my Mr Fusion™ is what I'm saying.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

A virus that caused everyone to be intelligent, reasonable, and nice.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(August 6, 2015 at 1:01 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: A virus that caused everyone to be intelligent, reasonable, and nice.

Unfortunately, many immune systems seem to have already gotten inoculated against that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dire Warning to Humanity chimp3 9 1689 November 15, 2017 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why smart machines are a threat to the way humanity currently exists ThoughtCurvature 3 885 September 5, 2017 at 5:08 am
Last Post: ThoughtCurvature
  Not a good time for humanity, the ai singularity is here MellisaClarke 61 14647 May 23, 2017 at 5:45 am
Last Post: chimp3
  The top three biggest threats to humanity.... lifesagift 58 10089 November 8, 2014 at 8:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evolution Continues to Advance Minimalist 8 1919 December 18, 2013 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Fukushima still a Threat to Humanity? Gooders1002 9 5697 November 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris