Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can women be Christian?
How can women be Christian?
It has come to mind more and more ...thinking of how women could possibly be Christians. 

Seriously, I have to argue with my partner all the time about religion. She stands in the corner of Jesus. I personally have no good reason to believe a god exists at all much less sent himself as his own son to earth ...etc etc etc.

My point for this thread is to point out two quick biblical verses, and ask women ....why Christainity is something you would chose?

1 Timothy 2:11-14
11 A woman[a] should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;[b] she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

Deuteronomy 25:11-12
11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

These are just two quickly pointed verses. One from the new testament and one from the old. I think they depict women as inferior beyond doubt. 

Would you as a female want to follow a god that deems you inferior to men? If you still chose to follow the god of the bible, why?
RE: How can women be Christian?
For all kinds of reasons people are religious. Some women find comfort in the bible, others were raised to believe it is true, some may be able to combine gender equality with religion by simply rejecting (not ignoring, but rejecting) verses of the old testament, etc. It's a too complicated issue to give a full answer and I'm to unwise to feel qualified to do it. It's kinda like why there are gay Christians and pro-same sex equality christians
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

They spend a lot of time in Stockholm
(August 14, 2015 at 3:40 pm)Dystopia Wrote: For all kinds of reasons people are religious. Some women find comfort in the bible, others were raised to believe it is true, some may be able to combine gender equality with religion by simply rejecting (not ignoring, but rejecting) verses of the old testament, etc. It's a too complicated issue to give a full answer and I'm to unwise to feel qualified to do it. It's kinda like why there are gay Christians and pro-same sex equality christians

Thank you for your response. Clearly a rejection of text would be required. However if you reject text from the book that the religion is founded upon how is one to believe any of it is true? Also, "1 Timothy" is from the new testament.

Yes I would pose the same question to Christain homosexuals as well as Christain Black who have hertiage that suffered as slaves with biblical quotes as my point of reference. But I'm trying to be careful here to keep this thread as pointed as possible. I watched a TED talk about a homosexual woman an her struggles in self acceptance and wanting acceptance from others and she kept bring up the idea of duality. Where duality in her words basically meant that you could hold to opposing ideals similtaneous and that was ok. I personally think that duality is interesting but does not address the conflict as it just ignores it.

I was really hoping for a woman that is also Christain that would be willing to express why she would continue to believe when the text to which her belief is founded classifies women as second class citizens and inferior to men?

(August 14, 2015 at 3:58 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: They spend a lot of time in Stockholm

Not sure I follow...
(August 14, 2015 at 4:05 pm)stop_pushing_me Wrote: Not sure I follow...

Stockholm syndrome, or rather the religious equivalent of it.
How can these jackasses be muslims?

[Image: enhanced-7920-1412224569-1.jpg]

Scare people with tales of the angry desert god and they do all sorts of stupid shit.
I don't know how long you have frequented forums like this or other atheist websites but we have come to realize that emotion is behind religious belief - not logic. Oh, a believer may use logic from time to time - when it favors their belief. Otherwise, the emotional filters come into play and the facts are screened out before they ever reach the logic sections of one's brain.

I'm not being snarky here; that is actually how it works. The way our brains are put together, there is no direct pathway for information to reach the logical processing center. Everything goes through an emotional filter so true objectivity is impossible. Sometimes it's a wonder to me that we're capable of science at all.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(August 14, 2015 at 4:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: How can these jackasses be muslims?

[Image: enhanced-7920-1412224569-1.jpg]

Scare people with tales of the angry desert god and they do all sorts of stupid shit.

You bigot, it's my choice to go as the Grim Reaper to Halloween. It's my identity. My father threatening me to wear it has nothing to do with my choice.

There are lots of people I don't understand how they can be Christians tbh. It's equally baffling how black people can be Christians after the African slave trade was mandated by Christianity, or how gay people can be Christians after 2000 years of persecution. People are silly and easily brainwashed.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

The Grim Reaper carries a purse?
Keeper of souls clutch?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87856 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Women as priests Der/die AtheistIn 53 8262 August 4, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Three Christian Women marry Jesus Divinity 21 4286 July 14, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Christian war on women Fake Messiah 30 4362 April 6, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christian Apologists Act Like Abused Women Rhondazvous 17 3992 May 17, 2016 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A Contradiction of Coercions Can We Have a Christian Explaination? Jenny A 26 8536 July 27, 2015 at 2:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Huckabee And Women's Bathrooms Nope 48 9969 June 7, 2015 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Did Bishops (In London) Ever Debate Whether Or Not Women Were Human? ReptilianPeon 8 3381 March 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Brometheus
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 17468 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Evangelical Alliance: "We aren't homophobic women-haters" Foxaèr 170 22094 December 20, 2014 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32