Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what are they teaching in seminaries these days?
what are they teaching in seminaries these days?
I'll never forget a Feast of the Epiphany (the visit of the Magi) Mass, when the priest started his homily this way: "You KNOW there were no wise men, right? No gifts of frankincense, gold, and myrrh? You know this is an allegory, a way for the gospel writers to say that they saw kingship in Jesus, so Jesus's story should start like king stories of their time. And they saw God in Jesus, so the angels must have been singing in the skies over the stable. There weren't any angels talking to shepherds, either. Don't read the Bible as if it is literally true, or you'll end up rather frustrated."

Do all seminaries teach that the Bible isn't literal, or just some of them?

Brilliant man. Good guy (for a priest). Died a few years ago. I miss him.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: what are they teaching in seminaries these days?
Goddamn cherry pickers. Go work in an orchard and read the words for what they say -_-
Don't let them read the book. Tell them the cliff notes version. They'll be fine with that.

And change that money changers story into something we can use.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 27, 2015 at 3:12 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: I'll never forget a Feast of the Epiphany (the visit of the Magi) Mass, when the priest started his homily this way: "You KNOW there were no wise men, right? No gifts of frankincense, gold, and myrrh? You know this is an allegory, a way for the gospel writers to say that they saw kingship in Jesus, so Jesus's story should start like king stories of their time. And they saw God in Jesus, so the angels must have been singing in the skies over the stable. There weren't any angels talking to shepherds, either. Don't read the Bible as if it is literally true, or you'll end up rather frustrated."

It's becoming more and more common to take a less literal approach to the bible, as we continue to gain more understanding of it and of the times it was written. Shy  

Sad to hear of your friend's passing. What about good guy... for a human... was he a good guy for that? Lol.  Wink
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Yes, the more we know about the world around us, the less able we are to get away with taking the bible literally. Three guys bringing gifts does seem to be less literal and more allegory, though I'm sure Mary and Joseph would have appreciated the gold after having to put their baby in a feeding trough one night. Though that's likely not literal either.

It's odd that the most important decision in your life depends on a book that's filled with allegories, parables, and metaphors.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(August 27, 2015 at 5:01 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Yes, the more we know about the world around us, the less able we are to get away with taking the bible literally. Three guys bringing gifts does seem to be less literal and more allegory, though I'm sure Mary and Joseph would have appreciated the gold after having to put their baby in a feeding trough one night. Though that's likely not literal either.

It's odd that the most important decision in your life depends on a book that's filled with allegories, parables, and metaphors.

The story about the three guys bringing gifts to baby Jesus is an application of the Fourth Commandment which states that "none shall appear before Me empty-handed".  (Exodus 34:19-20).  Just about all of the stories are intended to be tied to one of the Ten Commandments found in Exodus 34:10-28.  The gift story illustrates that the travelers recognized baby Jesus as the living God.  There are more instances where people gave Jesus expensive gifts.  The most significant is when the woman gave him the bottle of perfumed oil just before his crucifixion.
The seminaries of which denomination?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(August 27, 2015 at 3:14 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Goddamn cherry pickers. Go work in an orchard and read the words for what they say -_-

In his defense, there are no cherries in the pile he picked from.
(August 27, 2015 at 3:54 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(August 27, 2015 at 3:12 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: I'll never forget a Feast of the Epiphany (the visit of the Magi) Mass, when the priest started his homily this way: "You KNOW there were no wise men, right? No gifts of frankincense, gold, and myrrh? You know this is an allegory, a way for the gospel writers to say that they saw kingship in Jesus, so Jesus's story should start like king stories of their time. And they saw God in Jesus, so the angels must have been singing in the skies over the stable. There weren't any angels talking to shepherds, either. Don't read the Bible as if it is literally true, or you'll end up rather frustrated."

It's becoming more and more common to take a less literal approach to the bible, as we continue to gain more understanding of it and of the times it was written. :shy:  

Sad to hear of your friend's passing. What about good guy... for a human... was he a good guy for that? Lol.  ;)

And sometime before the heat death of the universe, you too might gain the understand of "that was the TIMES during which they made IT up, and a botched job of making up malevolent fiction IT was, and what a shame so many scoundrels were able to gain the position to compel others to fall for it"
(August 27, 2015 at 3:54 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:

It's becoming more and more common to take a less literal approach to the bible, as we continue to gain more understanding of it and of the times it was written. Shy  

Sad to hear of your friend's passing. What about good guy... for a human... was he a good guy for that? Lol.  Wink

Rubbish - interpretations of the bible have simply lost huge amounts of ground to science and common bloody sense, forcing people to take a softer and softer stance in interpreting it, to allow it to still be accepted in modern society.

There is no great mystery. It is fantasy, with occasionally accurate historical details smattered about. And for all the church's efforts to rebrand and repackage, they are STILL declining, going the way of thousands of exhausted religions like it before.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Bet "Jesus" Is Real Proud of These Shits Minimalist 34 6058 December 4, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I will be gone for a few days Der/die AtheistIn 2 1165 October 19, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  ...And then there are the days He is silent. Drich 75 16707 May 3, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  channel 5 the last days of jesus downbeatplumb 5 2234 April 17, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Any one else watch The Last Days of Jesus on PBS ? vorlon13 9 2574 April 16, 2017 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  CHRISTIANS, you only have 3 days left to get rid of your XMAS TREE! 21stCenturyIconoclast 22 4201 December 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: 21stCenturyIconoclast
  Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies? miguel54 44 9416 August 28, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  If they found Jesus' turd what would they do with it? Fake Messiah 64 7069 August 26, 2016 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Losty
  These atheists are right, no, it is not trolling. Brian37 11 2900 March 19, 2016 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Theists teaching children Foxaèr 20 2418 March 14, 2016 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Foxaèr