Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
!hangman
!hangman
Although I hate it when trying to chat, when alone it is somewhat fun. (For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, go http://atheistforums.org/chat.php and type !hangman )

It keeps coming up with the weirdest words though... "trenchermen"? "energetics"? "bedmaker"? "arbitrager"? Where does it come up with these things? Smile

Also... what is people's fascination with the letter "U"? Whenever other people do it while i'm there, they seem to start out with "a-e-i-o-u"... it's like they don't understand how 'u' works! Smile The only times you should be using 'u' are a: if there is a 'Q', b: if a-e-i-o turned up insufficient letters, c: like one might use c, k, j, h (that being when the word looks like it needs it). It is just too uncommon to be useful most of the time as I see it Tongue Maybe there's a reason though? Smile

Same goes for people who commonly use f, c, g, b, v, x, z, q, w, y, k, and j in the beginning: why do it if the goal is to 'avoid getting hung'? Tongue

/FSM Grin
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: !hangman
I wonder if it's more advantageous to go for letters in the order they appear in letter frequency tables (e, t, a, o, i, n, ...)
(April 30, 2010 at 6:49 am)Tiberius Wrote: I wonder if it's more advantageous to go for letters in the order they appear in letter frequency tables (e, t, a, o, i, n, ...)

That's what I've been doing to last bunch of games. It *seems* more statistically advantageous to me. I have in each one completely taken caution to the winds until after i entered in a-e-r-t-i-o-p-s-l-n-m. At least the e-s-t-a-i-o-n part should almost always be attempted (imo)... the rest one might debatably use d-c-m-h (at the least) instead Smile

Still.. i've only lost one tonight.. and I call myself on being a moron for using v Sad (from the shoutbox: "But i lost for the first time in a good 20 or more !hangman: Sorry Saerules, you ran out of lives! The word was "decadency" <-- I was a moron and used V to guess the middle for "*eca*enc*" instead of doing the end which would have been either y or h")

Edit: just got ""saturnine"!" lol... what is that? Tongue

"saturnine |ˈsatərˌnīn|
adjective
(of a person or their manner) slow and gloomy"

And i expected something of the planet ^_^

And here is the second loss from the a-e-r-t-i-o-p-s-l-n-m combination: <DarwinBot>: Sorry Saerules, you ran out of lives! The word was "knockdown".
(April 30, 2010 at 6:56 am)Saerules Wrote:
(April 30, 2010 at 6:49 am)Tiberius Wrote: I wonder if it's more advantageous to go for letters in the order they appear in letter frequency tables (e, t, a, o, i, n, ...)

That's what I've been doing to last bunch of games. It *seems* more statistically advantageous to me. I have in each one completely taken caution to the winds until after i entered in a-e-r-t-i-o-p-s-l-n-m. At least the e-s-t-a-i-o-n part should almost always be attempted (imo)... the rest one might debatably use d-c-m-h (at the least) instead Smile

Still.. i've only lost one tonight.. and I call myself on being a moron for using v Sad (from the shoutbox: "But i lost for the first time in a good 20 or more !hangman: Sorry Saerules, you ran out of lives! The word was "decadency" <-- I was a moron and used V to guess the middle for "*eca*enc*" instead of doing the end which would have been either y or h")

Edit: just got ""saturnine"!" lol... what is that? Tongue

"saturnine |ˈsatərˌnīn|
adjective
(of a person or their manner) slow and gloomy"

And i expected something of the planet ^_^

And here is the second loss from the a-e-r-t-i-o-p-s-l-n-m combination: <DarwinBot>: Sorry Saerules, you ran out of lives! The word was "knockdown".

Umm Saturn IS rather slow and gloomy sae ...I think it takes 28years to complete one orbit around sol.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Silly one Tongue

I just noticed that my pattern is "asertion"mpl Smile I know it's misspelled and all, but i think it's cute nonetheless Tongue
(April 30, 2010 at 7:11 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Umm Saturn IS rather slow and gloomy sae ...I think it takes 28years to complete one orbit around sol.
29 *earth* years.

Coz technically every planet takes one year to orbit around its star...
(April 30, 2010 at 8:14 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(April 30, 2010 at 7:11 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Umm Saturn IS rather slow and gloomy sae ...I think it takes 28years to complete one orbit around sol.
29 *earth* years.

Yes, but we knew what she meant Tongue

Colloquially (and currently), when a person declares a thing to be X years old, they are using the current Earth (Sol IV) year Smile
(April 30, 2010 at 8:14 am)Tiberius Wrote:
29 *earth* years.

29 Years, 167 Days, 6.7 Hours

There ya go Ad.
http://www.kidscosmos.org/kid-stuff/saturn-facts.html

^^
Some quick kids facts.

SolIV years are the only years we can relate to. Still ...Saturn does take roughly a generation to orbit Sol.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 30, 2010 at 6:38 am)Saerules Wrote: Same goes for people who commonly use f, c, g, b, v, x, z, q, w, y, k, and j in the beginning: why do it if the goal is to 'avoid getting hung'?
hanged*

PET PEEVE ALERT
- Meatball
Meatball Wrote:hanged*

PET PEEVE ALERT

I hatez you Tiger

Very well...

Same foes for people who commonly ue f, c, g, b, v , x, z, q, w, y, k, and j in the beginning: why do it if the goal is to avoid getting hanged?

^ So awkward to say... we're talking 'long russian word' kind of awkward here... the kind of thing you only say if you have the right accent Dodgy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Epic hangman wins on the AF Slack channel Jackalope 17 2077 October 20, 2016 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K