Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Effective Altruism
Effective Altruism
I've recently been introduced to the effective altruism movement.http://www.effectivealtruism.org/about-eahttps://www.centreforeffectivealtruism.org/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_altruism The idea is to judge which charities to support by the amount of actual good created per dollar donated.  It's a very scientifically and economically oriented way of evaluating charities.

This leads to some counter-intuitive ideas:

1) Charities with the lowest administrative/advertising costs may not be the most effective place to donate;

2) While donating your time may feel good, donating your money may do more good;

3) The marginal value of additional contributions to highly funded charities may be very small;

4) Comparing the retaliative importance of charity's goals is fundamentally important;

5) Evaluating the actual results of the charity's actions is crucial;

6) The value of all human life is equal, therefore priority should not be given to people in first world countries when evaluating effectiveness.

What is not emphasized is dollars spent on charity or how good inside the particular charity makes you feel.

Give Well has a list of very effective but underfunded charities.  It's a small list and all of them are charities focused on the third world.

I have much sympathy for this kind of thinking and it has caused my husband and I to reevaluate where we donate.  However, we are not entirely sold.  For one thing, part of our motivation for giving is to make things better right where we are, so we still donate locally as well as globally, though we are taking a second look how effective our local charities are compared to other local charities.  And some of our charities are more like payment for services rendered such and Oregon Public Broadcasting (or this forum) and we will continue that kind of giving as well.

Where do you give money, and more importantly why there?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Effective Altruism
This reminded me of what happened during last year's Ebola outbreak. We always get distracted from the real epidemics, where our money would save far more lives.

The horrifying Ebola outbreak is capturing the world's attention – but other, less dramatic infections kill far more

Quote:Three and a half thousand deaths, and three countries paralysed by fear of infection, is a big deal, of course. But Ebola, for all its visceral horror and spreading tragedy, is a drop in the ocean when it comes to infectious disease. In total, around 6,000 people have died of Ebola in history; for comparison, at least that many die of malaria every two days, and of respiratory infections every single day. Here are the five biggest killers:
HIV/Aids
Malaria
Tuberculosis
Diarrhoea
Respiratory infections
To help fight HIV/Aids donate here
To help fight malaria donate here
To help fight tuberculosis donate here
To help fight diarrhoea donate here
I couldn't find a charity dealing specifically in respiratory infections. (And obviously other charities are available)
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
RE: Effective Altruism
I do not give money to any charity. I need it for myself, first and foremost, to ensure that I can live comfortably in a world where corporate greed ensures I must keep my money for myself.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter