Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MLM's and Pyramid Schemes on FB
MLM's and Pyramid Schemes on FB
I don't use FB often,mostly for sharing pics of family events, and staying in touch with my GS troop moms.

I only have 42 friends on FB, and about 35 of them are annoying the crap out of me!  lol.  

A VERY recent phenomenon I've observed on FB is people using it to advertise whatever MLS or pyramid scheme they've gotten themselves into.  I'm VERY tired of my FB feed being cluttered up with pictures of the THRIVE patch, and people telling me how it changed their life and to come join them in this wonderful life alering expereince....for just $99.
Or Perfectly Posh Independent Consultants trying to get me to buy their (overpriced) beauty products.

Some of these things are legit, like the Posh thing is like a modern Avon, pretty much.  It annoys me, but at least I don't feel like the person is trying to scam me.  All the same, I don't go to FB to have people who are supposed to be my friends and collegues post advertisements.  As if I don't see enough of those as it is!
I just don't use many beauty products, so my interest level is low there.  But when it comes to shit like THRIVE, it has taken everything in my power to stop myself from telling these idiots just how stupid their product is, how the company is scamming them, and using social networking to get their friends to do the scamming for them.

I finally snapped when someone posted it DIRECTLY on my wall, and I got into an argument. They wanted me to join THRIVE. I told them I don't join pyramid schemes, and my research showed this company product to be inneffective, and their company model to be a scam.

Their whole response seemed to be focused on how this company is NOT a pyramid scheme......but at it's heart it IS.  They are selling vitamins, vitamins that are no different (And actually less complete!) than a off brand multi-vit.  and they are charging roughly 50x the cost of said cheapo multi-vit.  BUT YOU can get yours FREE if you just Bus, I mean, sign up 2 friends! 
Come on, selling the opportunity to make money and get free shit if you just sell it on down the line, instead of just selling their shit like a normal company, that is what is at the heart of all these scammy scummy companies.  If they are technically a pyramid or not is irrelevant if they function just like one.

Anyway, I'm now seriously considering unfriending some of these people, but I already have a very very tiny circle of actual friends.  Ugh.  I really do hate FB. Sad
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: MLM's and Pyramid Schemes on FB
This is one of the many reasons I don't have a FB. It's a time sink of people's useless information and photos I care nothing about. If my friends want to share things with me, they will call or text and I can have direct interaction. Social Media in general is awful and I don't see the point in it.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
FB is like getting dry fucked
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 31, 2015 at 1:56 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: This is one of the many reasons I don't have a FB.  It's a time sink of people's useless information and photos I care nothing about.  If my friends want to share things with me, they will call or text and I can have direct interaction.  Social Media in general is awful and I don't see the point in it.

Totally agree.  
I join forums for my online social interractions :Big Grin don't need FB.  I always email my mom and brother and such pics anyway, it's not like they only get them onFB.

My husband deleted his FB account ages ago.  I've been thinking about doing that as well.  The only thing that was really holding me back was the use of "groups" and how my Girl Scout Troop has come to rely on our little FB group to plan and organize events.

I think I'll make a point of only using it for that, which is a good use of it, and just ignore the stupid feed. 
I'll miss George Takei's funny posts though! lol.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I've never understood the appeal of Facebook.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I still have a FB account but it does contain as little personal information as humanly possible. I needed it for something work related, but knowing they are nothing but a giant marketing profile generator, I don't even look at my page. I just get the random email how many people want to be friends with me, but looking at their names doesn't ring any bells. So why exactly would I want to be friends with someone I don't even know?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 31, 2015 at 3:08 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I've never understood the appeal of Facebook.

I use it only to keep in touch with a few people who use FB exclusively. Yeah, it's like a virus.

Otherwise, I consider the FB experience to be as pleasant as stabbing myself in the face with a porcupine.
What's more, I'm not really interested in what Julie or Tommy just digested or where they went on vaccation. I'm already bored when I'm pestered with vaccation pictures from people I actually do know.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]