Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sullivan Ballou Letter
The Sullivan Ballou Letter
They are Re-running Ken Burns' The Civil War on PBS.  Episode #1 ends with this,

I first heard it 25 years ago and it never fails to move me.  The art of prose was far higher 150 years ago than it is today.
RE: The Sullivan Ballou Letter
so romantic and heart breaking Sad
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Yeah. Wish I could write like that. Very moving, creepy soul stuff and all.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 8, 2015 at 12:59 am)Minimalist Wrote: They are Re-running Ken Burns' The Civil War on PBS.  Episode #1 ends with this,

I first heard it 25 years ago and it never fails to move me.  The art of prose was far higher 150 years ago than it is today.

I feel the same way, very touching and real.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Meh...
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 18, 2015 at 12:30 am)Godschild Wrote:
(September 8, 2015 at 12:59 am)Minimalist Wrote: They are Re-running Ken Burns' The Civil War on PBS.  Episode #1 ends with this,

I feel the same way, very touching and real.

GC

Yeah.... that's when people knew how to write.  None of this OMG BFF LOL crap which conveys such deep thoughts!
(September 8, 2015 at 12:59 am)Minimalist Wrote: I first heard it 25 years ago and it never fails to move me.  The art of prose was far higher 150 years ago than it is today.

Been a long time since I last watched the series, although I own the DVD box. But I seem to remember this letter anyway. The art of prose certainly was higher than it is today, amongst those who could actually write.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(September 18, 2015 at 2:17 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(September 18, 2015 at 12:30 am)Godschild Wrote:  I feel the same way, very touching and real.

GC

Yeah.... that's when people knew how to write.  None of this OMG BFF LOL crap which conveys such deep thoughts!

I've been reading some of Charles Dickens novels this year and find that the language carry over from England was still influencing the American language, and also the Irish, Scottish of the southern Appalachians, all a more pleasant language. Old English was still spoken by a few as late as the 1950's and 60's here in east Tennessee. People made fun of them calling them ignorant when they were actually speaking correctly for the most part a dead language.

GC
You don't want to get me started on what I see as the failures of the American educational system to teach basic literacy!