Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 10:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux users? Are there any here?
Linux users? Are there any here?
If so, what do you like about linux? Whats your favorite flavor? how do you find it compares to windows.
I like linux mint myself. I find it is basically a more stable and more polished ubuntu. I love linux because of package manager technology and the sheer configurability. Also what desktop you guys like? Im using maye right now, but about to try kde after a few years.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Linux users? Are there any here?
You mean android for desktops! Hehe.
installed plenty of virtual fc6 as squid caches back in the day. Since I'm on msdn, I'm a long suffering windoze user.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(September 14, 2015 at 9:22 pm)ignoramus Wrote: You mean android for desktops! Hehe.
installed plenty of virtual fc6 as squid caches back in the day. Since I'm on msdn, I'm a long suffering windoze user.

Haha half the hardline open source community can even decide if andriod is linux.
Signifying nothing.
I tried that crap called Linux once and 4 hours later it was a huge pleasure to get rid of it. Free isn't always the best, as Torvalds' disciples keep proving nowadays.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
Better then windows my friend. It's just a bitch to set up properly. Try Linux mint. Should work on most hardware without much issue.
Signifying nothing.
(September 14, 2015 at 9:33 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Better then windows my friend. It's just a bitch to set up properly. Try Linux mint. Should work on most hardware without much issue.

Oh, I did. Mint is the worst of all other distributions. That crap can't run properly on a quad-core with 8GB RAM and a 128-bit video card. Keeps freezing for no reason, the system takes about 10 minutes to start on a freshly new formatted hard drive, video card drivers stay in the system just until the next reboot and if you don't install the damn driver you can't have a 16:9 resolution. Not to mention the not working updates. Last time I tried Mint (17 KDE), it couldn't update because the program responsible for updates was glitchy and the OS couldn't update the updater! (faceplanet) Which only lead me to two choices - either get rid of that misconception or find another distribution. I prefered the first.
(September 14, 2015 at 9:39 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote:
(September 14, 2015 at 9:33 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Better then windows my friend. It's just a bitch to set up properly. Try Linux mint. Should work on most hardware without much issue.

Oh, I did. Mint is the worst of all other distributions. That crap can't run properly on a quad-core with 8GB RAM and a 128-bit video card. Keeps freezing for no reason, the system takes about 10 minutes to start on a freshly new formatted hard drive, video card drivers stay in the system just until the next reboot and if you don't install the damn driver you can't have a 16:9 resolution. Not to mention the not working updates. Last time I tried Mint (17 KDE), it couldn't update because the program responsible for updates was glitchy and the OS couldn't update the updater! (faceplanet) Which only lead me to two choices - either get rid of that misconception or find another distribution. I prefered the first.
Ah I see. Its unfortunate that you have such an experience. If your interested in coding though I say try your luck woth fedora. The open-source community is a very rich environemnt for someone looking to learn.
Signifying nothing.
The only Fedora I've ever liked was Fedora 16 but it's not supported anymore. Fedora 16 was the only version of a distro that accepted the video driver and kept it even after the reboot.
(September 14, 2015 at 9:51 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote: The only Fedora I've ever liked was Fedora 16 but it's not supported anymore. Fedora 16 was the only version of a distro that accepted the video driver and kept it even after the reboot.

Using a amd card?
Signifying nothing.
Yes..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux in ten years wish list. highdimensionman 2 337 February 23, 2022 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  MacOS users help meh SteelCurtain 14 2027 January 13, 2017 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: johan
  Any computer nerds here? Hard reboots abaris 37 6960 March 31, 2016 at 7:57 am
Last Post: rado84
  Nothing annoys me quite like linux and using OSS tools KevinM1 12 2042 January 24, 2015 at 12:59 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Steam on Linux/Optimus on Linux Autumnlicious 12 3441 June 22, 2013 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Big Blue Sky
  OS Battle: which is the best? (OS X, Windows, Linux ...) Meylis Delano Lawrence 38 9656 May 1, 2013 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Love
  Protection From Malware (Windows Users) Love 19 6165 April 28, 2013 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Linux woes Darwinian 29 5377 April 17, 2013 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Who knows much about Linux? TaraJo 11 2565 December 4, 2012 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Windows vs Mac OS X vs Linux vs others. Tiberius 15 4771 April 6, 2012 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BoyWonder