Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worthy of worship, free will?
Worthy of worship, free will?
If the god concept has all the secondary and relationship attributes given to it.  They had no option but to create the best universe for us.  Something with no option to do something does not deserve credit nor worship.

The god concept is said to be:

Maximully knowing
Maximully loving
Maximully powerful
Wants a relationship with us
Is a universe creator
Has to bring us into existence by his will

To achieve his aims he must create the best universe to meet those aims.  Such a concept is therefore not worthy of praise, becuase they had to do it anyway.  It also means the god concept has no free will.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
RE: Worthy of worship, free will?
I'm confused.... you seem to be suggesting that god has no free will and that is your point on the one hand... but your thread title seems to suggest that "free will" is worthy of worship? I don't follow perhaps you can explain?
Free will is an illusion. The human brain makes decisions three seconds before we are consciously aware of it.
Our consciousness is forever playing a game of catch-up it will never win. We will never know the full motivations behind our decisions because there are too many factors to be conscious of. Our minds weave a narrative to maintain the illusion of conscious control.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
"You are not controlling the storm, and you are not lost in it. You are the storm." - Sam Harris - "Free Will".
What if the gods position is "I'm all powerful, worship me or I'll punish you. Just be eternally grateful for the smallest of scraps I choose to throw your way. If you want the ultimate reward you better tow the line."

What if the god gets off the torment and abuse. We could be the ants and god the kid with the magnifying glass.

Sound like any dictators you can think of that are worshiped? Sound like any god delusions that you have heard of?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Yeah if Yahweh was real he would definitely be a sexual sadist.
(October 7, 2015 at 9:42 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: Free will is an illusion. The human brain makes decisions three seconds before we are consciously aware of it.
Our consciousness is forever playing a game of catch-up it will never win. We will never know the full motivations behind our decisions because there are too many factors to be conscious of. Our minds weave a narrative to maintain the illusion of conscious control.

It's almost like your saying that sub-consciousness has free-will.

My idea of free will is that someone could take you back in time, reset your mind to that point and you might do something different.
I think the sub-conscious mind is even more incapable of randomness then our conscious minds.
Well your idea of free will is a fiction I'm afraid.
(October 7, 2015 at 10:10 pm)Little lunch Wrote:
(October 7, 2015 at 9:42 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: Free will is an illusion. The human brain makes decisions three seconds before we are consciously aware of it.

It's almost like your saying that sub-consciousness has free-will.

My idea of free will is that someone could take you back in time, reset your mind to that point and you might do something different.
I think the sub-conscious mind is even more incapable of randomness then our conscious minds.

We're animals being followed around by a confused narrator. 

Its possible you would change your mind if some tiny detail was different but you would not be aware of everything that went into that decision making process. Your brain would come to the decision based on the complex calculus of the countless factors, big and small, that its been exposed to. Three seconds later you would justify it to yourself as a decision you just came to with whatever glaringly obvious factors that happen to be right infront of you at the time.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
[Image: VlhoJcf.jpg]