Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roko's basilisk
Roko's basilisk
So.. have any of you heard of the basilisk? If so, what are your thoughts? Do you think that it is just another version of Pascal's wager? I've got some views on it, but I'd like to see your opinions on the matter first  Big Grin
Plato had defined Man as an animal, biped and featherless, and was applauded. Diogenes plucked a fowl and brought it into the lecture room with the words,

"Behold Plato's man!"

RE: Roko's basilisk
Haha yes I have heard of Roko's basilisk. I think it's a fun thought experiment (aren't they all!). What it's a tremendous demonstration of, I think, is how humans poorly conceptualize different infinities when compared with each other. Some people think "well, the probability of Roko's Basilisk occurring is 1/(virtually infinite), but if it does occur my suffering will be (virtually infinite), so, Panic", or, even more crazily, "well, the probability of Roko's Basilisk occurring is 1/(virtually infinite), but (something about infinite universes, and it only has to occur in one, or stacked simulations, or something) so Panic Panic." That's not how probability works.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
And, it follows from the above, that, yes, it's roughly a technologist's pascal's wager.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Haha, those guys at less wrong are quite the characters.
I think the basilisk's problem is that the command can be reversed, and still be possibly true , for example, that there is a possibility of a being that demands that you, at all costs, attempt to stop it's creation or x happens (being tortured in a virtual realm for infinity).
Plato had defined Man as an animal, biped and featherless, and was applauded. Diogenes plucked a fowl and brought it into the lecture room with the words,

"Behold Plato's man!"

I can't make the connection between my actual self and my future virtual self. My death will be final and A.I. God can suck it, is what I mean.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I think the LessWrong guys are all together culty. More directly they seem to be a cult of personality. And their cover-ups, deleting post, and lack of transparency doesn't help at all.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue