Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil in the Gulf of Mexico!
Oil in the Gulf of Mexico!
I posted this in Science, because I wasn't sure where else it should go.

This is bad, people. Very, very bad. The sociopolitical and environmental implications of this disaster are difficult to wrap my mind around. This is a world changing event.

Associated Press Wrote:The Coast Guard conceded Saturday that it's nearly impossible to know how much oil has gushed since the April 20 rig explosion, after saying earlier it was at least 1.6 million gallons — equivalent to about 2½ Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Associated Press Wrote:Even at that rate, the spill should eclipse the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident as the worst U.S. oil disaster in history within about a week. But a growing number of experts warned that the situation may already be much worse.

The oil slick over the water's surface appeared to triple in size over the past two days, which could indicate an increase in the rate that oil is spewing from the well, according to one analysis of images collected from satellites and reviewed by the University of Miami.

Associated Press Wrote:Oil industry experts and officials are reluctant to describe what, exactly, a worst-case scenario would look like — but if the oil gets into the Gulf Stream and carries it to the beaches of Florida, it stands to be an environmental and economic disaster of epic proportions.
Bolding is mine. Full Article is Here.

The oil company (British Petroleum) claims it can cap the leak within 10 days, but most of the ‘experts’ not in the employ of BP are saying it could take up to 3 months. Either way, nothing good can come of this. I’m afraid the consequences of this are going to prove to be irreparable.

Any thoughts on this?
RE: Oil in the Gulf of Mexico!
Drill, baby, drill.
Sounds bad... Realy bad...

Pherhaps this will lead to a greater demand for "Green" energy in the end...
Devil
I have a secret and it is down below!

It takes something like this to discredit the Drill, Baby, Drill idiots.

Unfortunately.
Even if this speeds up the changeover to some sort of alternative energy, the damage done to the environment (not to mention the effect on local economies) is going to be permanent, I fear. I am simply devastated by the implications of this. I can't even express it.

It is not a 'spill'... it is a 'flow'. It is currently spewing over 200,000 gallons of oil per day. If the main well-head fails (as they fear it could) it will begin to spew forth millions of gallons per day. Imagine an underwater volcano that is spewing forth oil instead of lava. That is basically what we have here. Like I said, this is a world changing event and I doubt any of those changes will be for the better. It gives me a sick, sinking feeling.
I must be evil. Because after you posted that, I thought "Cool - we get to see what if an oil well collapsed far, far underwater."
This has always been a question not of 'if' but when.

When is now. British company fucking up the Golf of mexico. IT'S YOUR FAULT YOU BRITS! GET OVER HERE AND CLEAN UP YOUR MESS! QUIT FUCKING UP MY ENVIROMENT, IT"S WHERE I KEEP ALL MY STUFF!

I hears ol' halliburton is a big one to blame in this also.
Hanging offense, if you ask me, for any found guilty of directly or indirectly causing this disaster.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
http://apnews.excite.com/article/2010050...LDHG0.html

Quote:SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday withdrew his support of a plan to expand oil drilling off the California coast, citing the massive oil spill that resulted from a drilling rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico.

They'll be running his ass out of the Republican party.
Good topic, Paul. This is devastating. It will have horribly destructive, but probably not permanent, consequences. At the rate it is going, though, it will be permanent in terms of my life time. As if the Gulf wasn't fucked up enough as it is.
Here the event is being described as "possibly the worst environmental disaster in American history" .

BP WILL pay,but only a fraction of the long term cost,an only eventually ,after spending years in court arguing about it.

Pity Congress won't pass a law setting the fines (say a $billion) and costs to BP.with massive interest charges in the event of any delays in settlement. Pity the US government won't simply seize all of BP's assets immediately.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

TANGENT: My father was an executive with BP, working for them for over 40 years. I'm acutely aware of what an amoral bunch of cunts they are. --Dad was one of the most honest and honourable men I've ever known,so had problems from time-to-time.