Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reincarnation
Reincarnation
As an Atheist, I have a lingering thought in my mind.
I keep coming back to a sort of reincarnation, a sort of logic to the world.
Specifically Reincarnation similar to the way it is portrayed in Buddhism.
I realize that I will still be an Atheist even if I believe in Reincarnation.
So can you find some evidence against Reincarnation?
Or is thinking it exists just positive thinking the best evidence against it?
RE: Reincarnation
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, this isn't philosophy.

To me, the best evidence that reincarnation is false is that nearly everyone who claims to remember past lives was Cleopatra or a world-renowned Shaman. Nobody says, "I was a dick in my past life." Big Grin
The only reincarnation I believe in is that my atoms will eventually end up some where not of this body.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The reasons for not believing in reincarnation are that there is good evidence that our consciousness requires a material brain to exist, and the cases which suggest reincarnation generally are localized to cultures that accept reincarnation as a common belief. The reasons for believing in reincarnation are that it is a common belief in some cultures, and that it seems to afford for a just world if our reincarnations depend on karma. The latter is a very comforting belief for some who feel that there is no rhyme or reason to justice in this world. To me it sounds like wishful thinking. Why do you find it an appealing concept?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
With my luck, I'll come back as me.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 17, 2015 at 9:10 pm)Stimbo Wrote: With my luck, I'll come back as me.
Groundhog Day, Stimbo Style!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The best evidence suggests that your mind is simply brain processes or the results of brain processes.  When they stop, you cease to exist.  That is what every reasonable person believes today.  But people want to believe all sorts of bullshit, because they are afraid of ceasing to exist, so they are unreasonable and believe all sorts of ridiculous nonsensical drivel.  You will cease to exist when your brain fully stops, and that will be the end of you.  Reincarnation is a stupid, stupid, moronic, idiotic idea.  It is something primitive, superstitious fools might believe.

You might as well believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I wanna come back as Hugh Heffner. Yummmm... Bunnies.!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I wish that I could believe in reincarnation.  The idea of having multiple chances to learn and improve really speaks to me.  

But oh, when you think about it, reincarnation makes about as much sense as singing "holy holy" or frying for all eternity.   Every being . . . coming back as a new creature?   Starting with what being, trilobites?   A soul - - which we have absolutely no proof of existing - - being reborn over and over?   No, I can't buy that either.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(September 17, 2015 at 10:18 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: I wish that I could believe in reincarnation.  The idea of having multiple chances to learn and improve really speaks to me.  

But oh, when you think about it, reincarnation makes about as much sense as singing "holy holy" or frying for all eternity.   Every being . . . coming back as a new creature?   Starting with what being, trilobites?   A soul - - which we have absolutely no proof of existing - - being reborn over and over?   No, I can't buy that either.

Do you really wish you were stupid enough to be able to believe in an idiotic idea?  If so, destroying part of your brain could make that possible.  I do not recommend it.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How "reincarnation" might work? chasbanner 50 4505 April 10, 2016 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Reincarnation of the consciousness is inevitable automaton 37 20128 September 15, 2012 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris