Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GameMaker Studio /Professional
Star 
GameMaker Studio /Professional
Okay, well my last thread got pulled for breaching the advertising rule.

This time there should be no problem, because I will not put a link to the insanely generous deal in this thread, and all the information for it will be in hide tags here:

Which simply explains, without advertising, that you can buy GameMaker Studio Pro for $6 instead of $150, and get the Android module for an additional $6 instead of $300 (in total $12 instead of $450). Note you can grab the free version at that link as well. If you want to discuss the deal itself then head to the DF forums where I have a thread for that, which I do not expect will be pulled for spamming!

We all need our hobbies! I can't wait to get started with this program. Has anyone else used it before? Hopefully my programming skills are not too rusty ....

2D computer games are a beautiful art-form and if you don't think so you should close this thread NOW! LOL. Big Grin
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: GameMaker Studio /Professional
I used to use it before yoyo games took over. Nowadays there are loads of great frameworks out there and for free, so I don't see the point of eating money on it.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Well yes, but 2D engines can be much more limited in terms of what they're designed for making (AGS for example).

And besides, GameMaker has a free version now as well. You'll find most decent "free" 2D engines have paid versions also.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I already bought this like... years ago. I was planning to get into it but after afew days I just stopped.
Maybe I should get into it again. I can't really draw though is the problem, I can make pixel sprites I guess.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(September 21, 2015 at 1:54 am)Aractus Wrote: Well yes, but 2D engines can be much more limited in terms of what they're designed for making (AGS for example).

And besides, GameMaker has a free version now as well. You'll find most decent "free" 2D engines have paid versions also.
GM has always have had that free version, with several limitations. If you want to make something usable, you'll have to use GML, and that is quite restricted in the free version, so why bother? Try something like Phaser or Turbulenz, they are free, open source, and a lot more flexible and powerful. You can easily combine other libraries or tools and extend these however you like. I don't see any advantage in wasting 6$ when you can get better stuff for free.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I've have some 2d game makers that I got in a humble bundla about a year back but never used it.
(September 21, 2015 at 2:33 am)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(September 21, 2015 at 1:54 am)Aractus Wrote: Well yes, but 2D engines can be much more limited in terms of what they're designed for making (AGS for example).

GM has always have had that free version, with several limitations. If you want to make something usable, you'll have to use GML, and that is quite restricted in the free version, so why bother? Try something like Phaser or Turbulenz, they are free, open source, and a lot more flexible and powerful. You can easily combine other libraries or tools and extend these however you like. I don't see any advantage in wasting 6$ when you can get better stuff for free.

Well for USD 6 it doesn't hurt to have GM up my sleeve. I agree 100% with you about different platforms, and Ron has made his own for Thimbleweed Park which may or may not become open-source, just as many developers do and write their own.

By the way, the USD 12 includes 12 full games with source code - that's well worth the price.

I've monkeyed around a little with Gamemaker. I've used Unity too. Unity is free and will do 3d. A major different is the assets. I don't know if gamemaker has assets for your games but you can create 3d assets using another free program. I use Blender. And sound assets can be made with audacity which is free.
I've used a few different engines and game designers. So far, Unity is the big winner because it can make games cross-platform, and manages assets, even 3D skinned animations, very well. And that whole thing about being free. . . that's no joke. You can literally make an entire game and put it on Google Playstore without paying a penny.
(September 20, 2015 at 9:50 pm)Aractus Wrote: Okay, well my last thread got pulled for breaching the advertising rule.

How the fuck, it's for humble bundle for christ sake!