Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doctor Who, Season Nine
Doctor Who, Season Nine
I just watched the premiere and I rather enjoyed it.

What are your thoughts?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Doctor Who, Season Nine
I think I wish I still had BBC. Verizon lied and said it would be in my bundle. It's not, and I refuse to pay them another cent. Bastards.
And I miss David Tennant...he was my favorite Doctor.
The Doctor and Donna were the best.
(September 21, 2015 at 7:51 pm)Thena323 Wrote: I think I wish I still had BBC. Verizon lied and said it would be in my bundle. It's not, and I refuse to pay them another cent. Bastards.

I'm still grieving Matt Smith.
(September 21, 2015 at 7:51 pm)Thena323 Wrote: I think I wish I still had BBC. Verizon lied and said it would be in my bundle. It's not, and I refuse to pay them another cent. Bastards.

Donna was good.  She was not eye candy for men. She was a strong character and I liked her.

But I think the newest doctor, Peter Capaldi, is, by far, the best doctor of the new series.  (With the old doctors, I like Tom Baker best, and I like Leela and the original Romana as his companions.  Although the companions were both eye candy for men, they were also very strong characters in themselves. I recommend that you look at the old episodes, if you can stand the poor production values. Leela was awesome, willing to kill a man with little provocation. She was great!) The new doctor (Peter Capaldi) does not seem like a human, but has an alien quality that is appropriate for the part. He also brings to mind the original series. I hope the BBC keeps him until he retires from acting.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(September 21, 2015 at 11:35 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: But I think the newest doctor, Peter Capaldi, is, by far, the best doctor of the new series.

I agree. I quite like him.

I think anyone who misses a previous doctor forgets that the doctor cannot remain because of his ability to resurrect in the way that he does.

Get over those old doctors, you whiny bitches.
~ Erin Hunter
I think Joanna Lumley and Rowan Atkinson were the best doctors...
Dying to live, living to die.

Dying to live, living to die.
Funny thing about those much-maligned 60s-80s production values. Once you become immersed in the story and characters, and invested in them, you don't notice the production values; or they don't become prominent.

I'd much rather have a Talons of Weng-Chiang, with its famously unfortunate rat costume, than the worst excesses of RTD or Moff (Love and Monsters, anyone?) And the new music - aaarrgh!

All that aside, I do like the direction that Capaldi seems to be taking the character. He's an interesting mixture of Pertwee and Tom Baker. In fact, I believe he's been influential, in a small way steering 'classic' references back into the programme. The Pertwee style of his costume, which is going to be even more pronounced later, or the Baker yo-yo. Even the roundels are coming back, again I believe at his suggestion.

This season's opener is looking to be one of the best for a long time. I really like the idea of revisiting Genesis of the Daleks and exploring the flip side of the fourth Doctor's dilemma. And the resurrected Dalek city is amazingly like the Raymond Cusick original; I hope we get to see more of it.

And the proper Daleks are back! Ok, they're more like extras, but at least they exist!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 21, 2015 at 5:52 pm)Kitan Wrote:  

What are your thoughts?

That in order to fully enjoy teh cocoa pebbles, it is best to pour them into teh milk a handful at a time and skim them off the top. Pour and repeat, rather than just pour...

Oh! Peter Capaldi is fucking awesome. BBC however says numbers are down. Sad Originally thought I wouldn't enjoy his performances, now he's my favorite doctor watched in actual season running. Baker's probably my fav, but I watched those episodes as reruns.
Watching the second episode right now, and loving it so far.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hanging With Doctor Z Fake Messiah 0 251 March 16, 2021 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3 Der/die AtheistIn 38 2570 February 6, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here! Jehanne 38 2882 December 27, 2018 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 66839 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  X-Files season 11 (maybe) Foxaèr 10 1913 January 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 3700 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Doctor Who Christmas special 2017 pocaracas 20 3184 November 21, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1071 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 924 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Hey Ho's, anyone else watching Survivor this season: GenX'ers vs Millennials Whateverist 3 1304 December 2, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Aegon