Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hello, everyone.

I thought I would make an account and introduce myself.

I grew up in a pretty fundamentalist family in an evangelical church, and bought the whole thing hook line and sinker for years. Deconversion was a long painful process that started with me finding a lot of questions I knew I couldn't answer to my satisfaction. Eventually I hit a critical mass, panicked, and stopped thinking about religion at all. After I had a bit of distance, I looked at everything again, did some reading and some thinking, and decided that none of it made any sense.

So now I have been an athiest for a few years. My husband knows, but I still haven't told my family. They know I don't go to church, and seem to have adopted a "don't ask if you don't want to know" policy, which is working fine for the moment.

I've been thinking a lot about it again recently because I'm afraid of what will happen when it becomes obvious that I am not indoctrinating my son as a True Christian™. He's too little right now for it to be an issue, but I want to be prepared for either a) having to come out or b) possible attempts at behind-the-back indoctrination. I'd hope they wouldn't try that, but I can't say for sure. On the one hand, nobody even mentioned the lack of a baptism, on the other, my mom JUST liked a post on Facebook about how she'll fight tooth and nail on her knees for her kids and grandkids to have a relationship with Jesus.

I might not post a lot. I'm mostly doing a lot of reading and thinking.
RE: Hello
Welcome.
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome!

Wait, she liked a post about how she will... That doesn't make sense. Unless she posted it and liked it with her sock account
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hello and welcome! I hope you like it here.

Is your husband also an atheist?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Welcome Blackbird! lots of great discussions here and great people. Feel free to chime in whenever and lurk as much as you desire. Waffles should be by shortly i hope.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
Welcome, Blackbird Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Thanks everyone!

Whoops, Alek K, I meant she liked a post from one of her other friends.

My husband might be an atheist. If I ask him he says he doesn't know. Mostly he just doesn't think about religion.

Mmm, waffles are delicious!
Hi BlackBird! Hi Welcome to AF!

....aaand waffles it is c:
Grab some:

[Image: bc-23-dessert-waffles-with-spiced-blueberry-sauce.jpg]

Enjoy c:
Hello and Welcome (yellow winged?) BlackBird!

My view on your mom's post, don't give it to much power. Shit, look around at some of the rantings posted here. It's easy on the net, much more difficult in real life. 

Just curious. Does this have something to do with your name selection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ehhZ53zysQ
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Mmmm, berries and everything! *swoon*

The individual post didn't bother me too much, but it is pretty indicative of her general mindset.

I wasn't thinking of that song, but it is a lovely sentiment.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5998 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3647 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates